Co-Dominent stems on large Sycamore. Opinions please?

Rick2517

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I had a look at this large sycamore today oprox 14m,

I try not to worry all the time the two basal stems are roughly cylindrical, I get more concerned when the width gets conspicuously more than the front to back depth. 14 m is quite a long lever arm to be stressing the centre of the root ball.

if they are staying you have got to reduce them and get the soil level back to the original level - both already stated

If the garden is relatively small - consider felling

very poorly formed - another option is to do the above but also replant with a well formed tree with a view to eventually replacing it when the new tree has established itself somewhat

My initial view was to fell but the customer was having none of it, so then went on to advise pollard at 8m, and she was having non of it, so then 30% reduce and instal cobra. Customer was happy with reduction but not yet had a reply about the brace. Tree is in small front garden wall very close (newly built) and targets everywhere. My choice to fell may have been excessive but My justification was specie of tree and proximity of targets = get rid and re-plant.

Always interested to here other views tho.

Thanks guys

Rich

My initial view was to fell but the customer was having none of it, so then went on to advise pollard at 8m, and she was having non of it, so then 30% reduce and instal cobra. Customer was happy with reduction but not yet had a reply about the brace. Tree is in small front garden wall very close (newly built) and targets everywhere. My choice to fell may have been excessive but My justification was specie of tree and proximity of targets = get rid and re-plant.

Always interested to here other views tho.

Thanks guys

Rich

Before you do anything also consider Cryptostroma corticale, it can exist in a latent form for a long time symptoms can develop by stress, this can be from a variety of causes, one of which could be induced by excessive pruning, Sycamores never respond well from pruning.

Targets?

You could do anything so long as she doesn't come screaming if the union fails.

To brace a sycamore that young would be mad IMO.

Fell grind replant

Pollarded would look awful.

Reduction would be returning every 8 years. Give her those facts and see what she thinks.

Or

Walk away

Just noticed thats what you originally suggested= spot on

Edited by likeitorlumpit
didn't read OP properly

Agreed, my initial judgement of this trees safety was overestimated and I will advise for a crown reduction with no bracing. Also I will investigate further as to how the soil levels have been raised and over what time scale this has happened and also advise removing the raised bed and clearing soil with air spade.

Thank you for everyone's advise, I'm not ashamed to ask for it as we are all learning.

Rich