Just when you think you're at the top of your game...

Steve Bullman

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Monkey

To answer your question, I suppose I don't say "no", just "lets find another way".

Regards

Graeme McMahon

I guessed that was going to be you answer. What you do is very impressive to people who have never worked in trees. For those of us who have and do work in trees it is simply awe inspiring.

Do you ever get to trim little easy trees anymore or is it just a steady diet of big and ugly?

Steve

Celebrity is a word that conjures up something I am not. I can say that I cannot think of any tree crews that wouldn't feel welcome to pull up at my worksite and have a laugh and a cupper. The reverse is also true.

Natural history film work has traveled me the most distance. All over Australia, the Philippines and Borneo. I have been lucky to be asked to present at arb conferences in UK, Europe and USA. The larger tress has caused me to travel hundreds of miles in all directions.

The most over looked part of our risk assessments is traveling on public roads. We daily fail to record hundreds of near misses and hazard assessments at intersections. This is also true for the work safe officers traveling to inspect us. They are of course at work when they visit us. Sometimes the intense spotlight of safety on our work sites seems to be out of step with reality, but lucrative for some. The moral high ground of work safety seems to overlook this as well.

Oops, I feel myself climbing onto one of my many "soap boxes".

Regards

Graeme McMahon

Graeme

awesome vid,I'd love you to pull up on my worksite for a cupper,don't think we'ed get much work done, I would imagine the tales you could tell would be far more interesting than any job.

Once asked a HSE guy ,who came on our site,if he'd done a risk assessment for his drive to our site, he was'nt amused,then a young mum with a toddler and pram were walking past on the pavement and an arctic lorry passed them a 30+ so i said wright a risk assessment for that he had no anwers

we are minority with little power and very few votes so we get victimised

Cheers Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

isn't it amazing you hit a point sometimes, you think 'i'm good, what else could possibly stump me' then you watch something like that and it invigorates you. makes you realise the tops along way away, we've got a damn good job. not many people realise what ballsy work it is. graeme probably went home that night told the missus 'you should have seen the tree i cut down today it was massive' reply: 'thats nice dear, do you want chips or potatoes with your steak?'