Topping

RC0

I just remember the day when I did exactly the same thing. Using the sights on the saw and it slipped out the cut and almost cut my flip line and rope on it's way past!

Doing exactly the same thing and the saw slipped out. How? Please explain. Thanks.

Edit glad you survived, BTW

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice video as usual.

What I appreciate most, apart from your obvious skill, is that (correct me if I'm wrong :001_smile:) you're never showing off ( even if you 'd have all the reasons to...).

Usually humility, together with confidence, is what marks out a real master. :thumbup1:

Doing exactly the same thing and the saw slipped out. How? Please explain. Thanks.

Edit glad you survived, BTW

I was holding the saw whilst cutting and shifting my head around to look along the sight line.

At that moment I didn't maintain pressure on the dog teeth and the saw moved away from me and out of the cut.

Because my thumb was still on the throttle my rope was nicked as the saw went past it ( I was still holding the throttle a bit). These things happen in a flash don't they.

Bottom line is though: If I had maintained the correct body position and weight distribution for the movement I made I would have maintained the saw pressure into the cut. It was my error but I just avoid it now anyway.

I wasn't critisising you for doing it but only thought to point it out for other viewers. I have witnessed two guys doing it and one cut his leg, the other cut his dangling rope.

I was holding the saw whilst cutting and shifting my head around to look along the sight line.

At that moment I didn't maintain pressure on the dog teeth and the saw moved away from me and out of the cut.

Because my thumb was still on the throttle my rope was nicked as the saw went past it ( I was still holding the throttle a bit). These things happen in a flash don't they.

Bottom line is though: If I had maintained the correct body position and weight distribution for the movement I made I would have maintained the saw pressure into the cut. It was my error but I just avoid it now anyway.

I wasn't critisising you for doing it but only thought to point it out for other viewers. I have witnessed two guys doing it and one cut his leg, the other cut his dangling rope.

Thanks for getting back to me Old Mill, and sharing your story.

Thankfully you didn't gaff out at the same time....but at least you would've had a free hand to save yourself.

As is clear in the video, I adjust my feet to check the sights, not my head, because I'm totally focused and in tune with whats going on. I sighted it only right at the end for the last 2 inches of progress, when it mattered. Deep in the kerf like that its not gonna slip out. Why would it. Little things, make all the difference.

Sorry to hear about your friends mishaps....but most likely they weren't focused, or not experienced enough to perform such a maneuver and stay in control.

Reg,

did you make the horizontal cut on the Humboldt like that here in the UK before you went to Canada? or did the long spikes (thick barked conifers) and 3/4 wrap handle change your cutting technique?

Did you fit the 3/4 wrap handle mainly for felling on the ground?

cheers

390xp.jpg.a1cb666502e2f35ab50845665dcb0fd1.jpg

one more question, why use the Humboldt over the 45 degree conventional notch? always wanted to get an answer to this, but have never looked into it, never even tried the Humboldt once in 15 years of treework, am I missing out on a safer cut in certain situations or a more predictable landing?

few examples of me using the 45 for topping out, would it of made much differenced with any of these?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Xtrr7aFLI]Sitka Top - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-1N_pJWPts]Sitka Spruce Top - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmkubnIORJA]Lombardy Top - YouTube[/ame]