Petzl ZigZag or Spiderjack ?

Watson

Hey everyone. Ive bin climbing on just a normal prussic loop for a while now and fancied 'upgrading' if you like. Just wondered what other people would choose and why ?

Im stuck between the tried and tested spiderjack OR the new funky looking zigzag ?

Cheers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone. Ive bin climbing on just a normal prussic loop for a while now and fancied 'upgrading' if you like. Just wondered what other people would choose and why ?

Im stuck between the tried and tested spiderjack OR the new funky looking zigzag ?

Cheers

Simple answer is, neither!! WHy are you on a prussik loop?

There are lots of hitches to try first before spending £150 on something that isnt much better than a good hitch.

Try a distel with a cheap pulley for a few weeks at least, then maybe a VT. They can all be tied with the same cord as your using for your prussik loops and a cheap ISC gold pulley is around 15 quid I think, maybe another climber you know has a spare petzl fixe you can borrow. Get creative before spending bucks!

Cheers

I think in reality it boils down to personal preference. Some will tell you how great a product is but until you try it for yourself you can only speculated. Find a reccy climb near you as there is normal a good diversity of climbers kit about so you can try before you buy.

I know what your saying Rupe. Ive tried a hitch climber with a pully and using fisherman's to tie the end of the friction cord. Once the knots been tied and put together on the rope its just to big IMO. I thought of buying a eye to eye friction cord but at £20/30 is it worth it and would it cut the size down.

Hey Ollie... Erm i live near Worksop but i work in Sheffield.

I've used a sj for a few years now and been using the zigzag for two weeks. I prefer the zig zag without any doubt at the moment. I am hopeful that there won't be any great wear issues with the zz, I found it annoying how frequently I had to change the sj clutch.

:thumbup: Sounds pretty good to me. Im sort of swaying towards the zigzag