Do you buy online or local

Steve Bullman

Where do you buy, and why?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you buy, and why?

• Online - I can get cheaper prices buying online
    • Online - I like the convenience of being able to purchase online 24 hours a day
    • Online - There is no local retailer
    • Local - I get better support locally if I have purchased my machines from them direct
    • Local - I like to support my local dealer even if it means paying extra

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose there is another option missing - "Online because my local dealers are either hugely overpriced, crap or both".

I attempted to foster a decent working relationship with a local Stihl and Husqvarna dealer last year. I paid a bit extra for a blower to get it from them. So, when a chap who works for me's MS261 needed attention (needle bearings - what else?!) I took it there. It took them very almost three months to get it back to me, with them needing constant hassling to get anything done, them taking an extra two weeks at Christmas on top of the normal two weeks (they had holiday to use up apparently) and then them having the cheek to lecture me about them doing me a favour for taking an FR Jones saw. Apparently it's more convenient if you go local.

The main problem is that most of the dealers are stuck in the past thinking that it's expensive and inconvenient to post stuff around the UK and that online buying is a pain. It's just not the case.

The only local supplier I religiously support where possible are a farm suppliers called John Kerr in Linlithgow. They are excellent at getting any part whenever I need it, they are quite happy to haggle prices (to a point) and they don't chase me if I've got £30 on the account I've forgotten about. Recommended.

I buy local. It's 2 minutes from my house and good service/price. And a good bit of banter whilst your there. Never had to wait for stuff to be ordered in and they'll fix stuff while I wait

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Spud fixes the saws though, he should start up a dealer ship , maybe strike a deal with Justin ;)

Mmmm - North of London territory - now theres a thought:thumbup:

My purchases are typically online, ease of purchasing, speed of delivery, having the parts arrive to my home and price are the main drivers.

The exceptions are the real heavy stuff like chain oil where picking it up direct can save a £10 delivery charge on £12 worth of oil. Just depends on where I am and what I am doing.

I try to bulk up orders as well - buy in parts that a customer may need for refurbing their saw and doubling up on popular parts like sprockets, clutch springs etc.

There are some really good online suppliers out there - just need to find them - I have also used some of he sponsers on here like Gustharts and Rob Ds Chainsawbars!

I guess if you know exactly what part or material you need then you don't often require the skills or know-how of the dealer - different needs for everyone.

From the other side of the fence as a local (small) dealer.

It is becoming ever more difficult to exist because of low margins driven by the internet sellers and many local dealers have closed their doors because of it.

Many of us who are left are striving to maintain reasonable margins and not compete with online sales. I will never match an online price on principal as those who ask me to price match are wanting local service at online price. They can't have it.

When they buy from me they are buying a bit of me as well and I have many customers who are very content with this arrangement. They know they can buy the product cheaper, but its the complete package of sales, and after sales service they are after.

I am more than happy to lose the customers who are just driven by price, but they may have to wait a while if they need service on something they have bought online, my loyal customers will get preference. And I will not carry out warranty work on anything I have not sold.

My prices are fair, very little is sold at RRP and on the whole the prices are not a great deal more than the 'sensible' on line sellers.

I dont fall out with on line purchasers, it is after all their choice how and where they buy.

I have found over the last few years that many more customers are coming back to buying locally, having found the online experience less than satisfactory (I am talking machinery)

The thread so far has done much to malign the local dealers competence, this is indeed a problem. We all make mistakes but sadly some make more than others and I do see work that has been done by some other dealers that concerns me.

But i hope that any person is given a chance to put his work right. I often get people in saying that they have had a machine repaired elsewhere and its not right so they are not going back. I think they should, and give the dealer a chance to correct his work.

The strap line on my invoices is " If you like our service tell others, if not, tell us"

But as to you buying online, or locally it is, "your choice".

Agree Barrie, I even get kit back once in a while - despite taking the care I do and machines getting a cold start 15min run up and cutting wood on the more troublesome ones - it happens but not too often...thankfully.

It is really how you deal with the return and sort the machine out from that point - it has taken me up to three months to get a saw back from the owner when it has misbehaved after repair - the latest one was 1/8th turn on the L screw:lol:

I think if all agents were a bit more like you, then I would get less business - I am thinking that you like to show your customers their fooked pistons and seized bearings when they pick up their repaired kit .....old school service, you can't beat it!:thumbup:

A bit of both really...

Shop online for most climbing supplies (wider selection available) and the occasional item not normally stocked locally.

Shop locally for everything else.. why? Great customer service, Helpful advice (not just about making a sale), Try before you buy, No postage charges and probably the most important.. get to hear all the gossip :w00t:

Jay