The trailer that George built...well sort of

Coletti

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trailer is technically plated already as I'm just modding an already plated trailer that technically will have the same capacity, size and weight as the original trailer, if needs must I will sort out getting it re plated. Although I may never really use it for its plated weight, it will be more than capable of carrying what it was originally designed too. It will put a bit more stress on the tires but I think it will be minimal, I haven't measured it but I'm almost certain there no wider than some of the larger ifor double axle trailers

and how do you go about plating a homemade trailer?

the legislation only covers trailers manufactured after the date by a company, they must be plated and certified. the get out clause for the homebuilder is "its not a new trailer, I just repaired my old one", just remember to remove the plate and makers ident, weld your own name and postcode on as an anti theft/identifier

The ramps are completely removable and able to use from both sides :). I'm not sure what distance they are, it's not too far, I wasn't aware there was a legal limit :confused1:. Have you any ideas on how far apart they can be if there is a legal limit? I'm sure it'll be fine but would be nice to check.

I think the limit is 840mm.

• 2 weeks later...
:thumbup1: Excellent, I will be keeping a close eye on the development of this thread. Seems like a really good idea, could solve the overloading issues of 3.5t vehicles. What does a trailer like that weigh in its "skeleton" form?

Not sure really, have a rough weight of what it weighs at the moment so will get a pic tomorrow of it's current state and post it up with its current weight. I have worked out it'll be around the 500kg mark when it's all finished and as I have access to a weigh bridge I shall post the final weight when it's all finished as well