hse inspection

treesuggs

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had an HSE inspection some time back. I received a telephone call from HSE telling me an inspector would visit within three days at 10.00am. They were prepared to visit us on site or in our yard so I decided the yard would be better. I was lead to believe it was in my interest to accept the appointment, which I did.

The inspector arrived introduced himself with ID and asked to see where we stored equipment & climbing/rigging gear. He went through all our paperwork from insurance, to risk assessments and method statements.

Fortunately, I had done a course during the months leading up to the random inspection so was very well prepared and we passed with flying colours.

The inspector said they were making random visits to arbs but I'm not aware of any other contractors being inspected.

No charges were incurred but that was before the new regs came in last Autumn.

Be safe people!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

One of my guys had a random hse inspection on a domestic site today (Saturday morning in a quiet village) has anyone on here had this happen to them or am i getting a little paronoid:confused1:

Poss. coincidentally she lived in village and been on recent HSE 'Treework' 3-day course.

Re- £124 per hour (HSE - 'Fee for Intervention') HSE have reaassured me that 'investigations of material breaches' will not be undertaken lightly and principally aimed at persistent offenders (often known to HSE.)

Nonetheless it does 'focus the mind' and will hopefully have a positive effect on improving H&S, partic. on site, but also at the documentary level....'ARB Approved Contractor' anyone? :biggrin:

Take care out there.

Cheers all..

Paul

Its just so inconsistent.

A couple of years ago while I was unloading my van at a waste site in Worthing (NOT the one in Arundel I hasten to add) the 360 driver was operating the machine while drinking a can of Strongbow. He was driving it around in the same area as guys were tipping etc. well within boom reach.

I admit I didn't challenge him - it's a bit of a down-marked site (a dump of a dump) which I will never use again.

I called the HSE, the Police and the local authority and nobody was interested.

We had HSE called out 4 times last winter. Once for not having appropriate signage for winching operations (we did, we had signs and banksmen by signs and hi-viz jackets tied to the tirfor cable), Twice for using a 4x4 in an "inappropriate manner" (hauling lengths of timber to a level surface so it is safer and easier to cut), and the best one of all "Burning tyres to get a fire going" (We already had a fire going 2 hours before the call came in, it was a farming contractor on top of the hill being "helpful" by burning old silage clamp tyres). The HSE officers which came out apologised for our down time which we usually replied "not a problem your only doing your job".

Poss. coincidentally she lived in village and been on recent HSE 'Treework' 3-day course.

Re- £124 per hour (HSE - 'Fee for Intervention') HSE have reaassured me that 'investigations of material breaches' will not be undertaken lightly and principally aimed at persistent offenders (often known to HSE.)

Nonetheless it does 'focus the mind' and will hopefully have a positive effect on improving H&S, partic. on site, but also at the documentary level....'ARB Approved Contractor' anyone? :biggrin:

Take care out there.

Cheers all..

Paul

UPDATE...........after a few calls today we found out she lives next door!!!!, she checked us but not the the landscaper we were working for who also happens to work for her father:lol:

Take it in a positive vane and a learning opportunity...personally I wouldn't pursue this 'line of enquiry' as it's gonna be time consuming and there may be future repercussions, i.e. more visits.

Cheers..

Paul

oh no, been around the industry too long too push our luck , we are IMO damn good at h+s but not daft enough to show up too much on the radar:biggrin: