Exploding Woodburner??!!

fonzy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloke I knew installed a Parkray stove (looks suspiciously like the one in this story) &, unbelievably, his mate told him to fill the back boiler with sand & cap the pipes off.

It nearly killed him & blew a hole into next door:thumbdown: He was in hospital for months & his face had to be completely rebuilt. His wife escaped with "only" second degree burns & a concussion, but she was in the next room!

I wouldn't have thought an aerosol or rifle round would have sufficient energy to blow the whole stove out like that. I'm betting there was a back boiler involved somewhere.

I don’t see any pipes at all nor the copious amounts of water that you would expect?

the thing is you don't need loands of pipes or copious amounts of water.

Take one open vented hot water heating system, one fire wih back boiler EG

Rayburn Parkray Aga Stanley etc.etc. add one night to freeze the pipe work in

the atic lght the fire wait fir the water in the boiler to boil building up steam that can't escape and BOOM...... result one fireplace blown off the wall.

I don’t see any pipes at all nor the copious amounts of water that you would expect?

the thing is you don't need loads of pipes or copious amounts of water.

Take one open vented hot water heating system, one fire with back boiler EG

the atic lght the fire wait for the water in the boiler to boil building up steam that can't escape through the frozen pipes and BOOM...... result one fireplace blown off the wall.

the thing is you don't need loands of pipes or copious amounts of water.

Take one open vented hot water heating system, one fire wih back boiler EG

the atic lght the fire wait fir the water in the boiler to boil building up steam that can't escape and BOOM...... result one fireplace blown off the wall.

It certainly looks like a pressure vessel failure but I dont see ANY pipes nor the remains of the heat excanger, although that could be attached to the back of the facia.

Clearly it could be a capped off tank but that would preclude the frozen pipe theory.

Burning non-smokeless in a sealed stove? Years ago I had a Parkray and if I stoked it up with coal or wood I used to wait for the bang in the chimney and stove as the build up of unburnt gases suddenly ignited.

Yes its a Parkray, I can see one of the riddling bars on the floor.

I don't think they were designed to burn wood on.

Surely an explosion in the chimney would just blow the glass strips out.

Looks like the back boiler exploded to me.

If the stove only weighed 60lb it cant have been very strong. Most multifuel stoves of the size of that door are 70kg at least. Suspect thats a journalistic error.

A

My grandfathers bungalow was built in 1966 and had a Parkray with back boiler for over 40 years.They're definetly not multifuel wood burners.