"Money's not on it mate"

cheesmanator

I do agree.... A job is better than no job.

youve never worked for an A HOLE THEN!

Sounds to me like the O/P is working for one of the big street firms, i know there is discent amoung the ranks in one of them at the moment because everyones being wringed for every ounce of blood sweat and tears they have.

one of the longest term employees is on the verge of a breakdown and at least too are off with depression.

The street crews are working at the tightest of margins at all times, so imagine how tight it gets when the markets so challenging.

for all the street crews out there at the mo, i feel you bruvs, been there done that

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am self employed but contracted on certain jobs. i work hard and normally finish before the allocated time most ok but some because it was a certain time want that time so want more work doing. other jobs it is priced so its do a good job and get it done to make money.

being employed you get paid if it rains,snows and can not work, then if it is fine then need to get jobs done the employer has to pay all the bills and tax and NI so not all its made out to be a boss or being self employed. done both

youve never worked for an A HOLE THEN!

Sounds to me like the O/P is working for one of the big street firms, i know there is discent amoung the ranks in one of them at the moment because everyones being wringed for every ounce of blood sweat and tears they have.

one of the longest term employees is on the verge of a breakdown and at least too are off with depression.

The street crews are working at the tightest of margins at all times, so imagine how tight it gets when the markets so challenging.

for all the street crews out there at the mo, i feel you bruvs, been there done that

Why let the bosses treat them this way? Coz they know there are 20 climbers waiting in the wings for his job. My advice is stick it out or get out and work for a decent firm:)

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Why let the bosses treat them this way? Coz they know there are 20 climbers waiting in the wings for his job. My advice is stick it out or get out and work for a decent firm:)

Some guys dont have the confidence to leave one job, especially when its been a long term placement. its easy to get comfortable and some will put up with a lot before they cant take anymore.

I have a lot of experience of this type of scenario, street mentality, its intense, if your on pricework. \the rules get bent to the nines, cars get "moved" and only the really quick guys make a decent wage, the rest go on day rate or kill emselves trying to earn the "golden balls" money.

its sick, its wrong and it needs a radical shift driven by those in charge, but they wont do whats needed.

@Hodge - Evening pal, I have been offered a few jobs while working where I am but happy to stay put, the lads are great that I go out on site with. Contract of Employment? Not seen one yet a year in and 2 requests later.... What are your veiws on that? I want one as everywhere I have worked I;ve always had one, it protects me and the employer. I get what your saying and most of the time i dont mind, I love getting out of bed and going to work. Genuinely LOVE IT... But its when you feel it on a monday, like, yeah that was a hard week. And that monday has been every monday for the last 4-5 weeks.

@ TimTree - Meters? Whawhawhawhaaaaa??? Please do tell........ I have heard this but thought the guy saying was talking rubbish... (usually does)

@ Dilz - Tell me about it. My boss is a decent guy at heart i think. I think though things could be different but thats me (most of the time i cock it up anyway). Hes cool though, but end of the day (hate that saying) hes my boss.....

Evening chaps (and chapet's),

How's the day gone for everyone? Wanted to get some advice on a saying that is thrown around alot at work. What do you guys do when you've got 7 planes to 30%CR and you know the gaffer hasn't quite got the timing right? Do you get in and do a quick job coz I got 6 more to do in a certain time, or would you get out to every tip and give it a proper going over knowing you'll run over?

Also, what's the score with your own firms and working late? Like late day after late day after late day..... When is enough enough for everyone? Keeping in mind the employment law 48hr week.

Cheers. Hope everyone's okay !!!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

phone the boss first its his call & then you cant be wrong .. mistakes happen some jobs you price & time correctly others you dont , no ones perfect . if you've got a good working relationship tell him if he's man enough he'll realise he's balls'd it up

working time directive is something you can decide to opt out of

but if hes paying you & you want the overtime take it , if the job needs overtime & he's not paying then you've got issues . some overtime worked in the summer when times are good are not paid ,but nothing docked in winter when works not so good and daylight hours reduce options

swings and roundabouts ,, or it should be , if its unfair then you agian have issues to chat to him about

Edited by Yorkshireman

Hi mate, you really should have a contract of employment, I think by law you should have one but I'm not sure. It protects you and your employer. If you have it in your contract that you work 40 hrs per week at £10 per hour and then and hours over that will be paid at £15 then you know where you are. When I had an employee I had a contract with him, if he did overtime I gave him time off in return. To be fair we never really did much. Now I just use self employed lads, we do job and knock, most days done by by 3pm, some days like today done by 12, then if we do a late one they are cool about it. I don't work them to the bone as I don't think you should exploit them as I didn't like being exploited.

we do job and knock, most days done by by 3pm, some days like today done by 12, then if we do a late one they are cool about it. I don't work them to the bone as I don't think you should exploit them as I didn't like being exploited.

exactly how i run my ship. if we get a chance for a "small job" the boy will get a little xtra on top the day too. win win:001_smile: