Big Snatch

Ewan Murray

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we were using doubled 25t rope so if you assume that we lost half strength for the bend radius we were still almost on the money

what if you doubled the rope throughout the whole system including the cradled rig, so there would be 2 sides of the rope going through the shackle side by side instead of the one you have, this would = 100tons of breaking strength @ the cradled rig.

Essentially it would be same setup as you have but the whole rigging system is a doubled rope from the rigged timber at the top through the shackle, down onto the half hitch round the side limb and the wraps round the base of the trees.

the cradled rig would have 100tons of breaking strength, the rest of the system would have 50tons but remember it's the cradled rig at 100tons that's taking the bit hit. Also what about 2 shackles doubled up side by side to decrease the bend ratio?

Edited by scotspine1

You need to post a pic of the Redwood from a different angle, I can only see the little one next to the house, the big one is behind it I guess.

how dare you doubt my credentials Mr Cody, I've done some of the biggest and most awkward Euc removals in Scotland.

I was guided through this particular giant by the world renowned North American tree removal expert Mistahbenn :thumbup:

euc.jpg.f2cf5ccee286beffb0cb4be123dd3805.jpg

RC0, I mentioned before that I kind of agreed with your criticism that it had little scientific or practical worth. A significant proportion of my work is removing trees like this as a contract climber - even if it hadn't taken us half a day to set up that snatch, you'd never do it on a job site. Surely, however, there is a place for having a crack at something like this when the (rare) opportunity presents itself?

Anyway, I'm not on here to make enemies, and to be honest I find these online disagreements kind of exhausting, except where they are backed up by reasoned argument, and result in some sort of worthwhile conclusion. So, again, apologies to anyone who didn't like the video, and we'll try to get it right next time.

Joe, there is nothing to apologize for.....it seemed lots more people liked the vid than didn't, no big deal. In fact, I looked over the other stuff on your channel, excellent. However, your friends comments, a word did come to mind....starts with w, ends with r. Didn't say it but I thought it.

You see codz, there's lots of members on the forum that have worked and traveled plenty. In fact, I was probably climbing and rigging with 3 strands in Australia long before you came on the scene, like many others. So dont be so quick to judge.

RC0, I dont doubt that there are plenty of guys on this forum with heaps of experience. That said I will not hold back for a second if I feel it is warranted.

Edited by David Humphries
Forum rules on language

I'm sorry, but I've got to jump in and back Codza on this one. Right at the start of this thread, Stephen Blair and Scotspine called it as they saw it, and described us in some pretty unflattering terms. Looks like they saw the 3-strand rope, the natural crotching and the wraps on trees, and jumped to the wrong conclusion. Fair enough, and Codz has just been giving it back exactly as he got it. If they couldn't work out what was happening in that video, and why (even though it's at least half explained), that's nothing to be ashamed of, but jumping in and name calling, and then not apologising when you realise that you might have misunderestimated... (to use that classic Bushism)

However, your friends comments, a word did come to mind....starts with w, ends with r. Didn't say it but I thought it.

To me, that comment crosses the line. Not sure how you thought it would be productive. Everyone's entitled to their opinion I guess, and now this thread has been quite thoroughly derailed, so I reckon I'm going to leave this here.