How do you manage your distractions when doing a course from home?

sasha.p

I really want to do a course get more understanding of stuff but have no idea how I would focus with two kids being a full time mum as well as self employed doing what I do fitting my jobs in around the kids, hubby,family and housework etc there is never enough time in the day as it is. I would love to be able to do a course online but how and what is the best way to focus on it when your surrounded by family distractions?feel like I should just buy a workshop and turn it into an outdoor living office/summer house so I can shut myself away from it all lol also what courses are available online ,any recommendations?

I would contact the course instructors and ask at a bare minimum how much time would be required to complete the course in question. Once you have that information make a schedule for class time and delegate jobs for specific task to be completed during your class time. Cooperation between your husband and family members will be key. Have a sit down meeting with your family and explain what you want to do and how important it is during this class time that everyone does their assigned jobs and Mom has her class time without interruptions. Also let your friends and family know that during class time no phone calls,text messaging or emails. Obviously if there is an emergency interruptions are no problem, of course you need to define emergency. This is only an outline, but one I would follow for my self. Remember you will get as much out of this quest as you put into it.

Make it happen, you can succeed!

easy-lift guy

I go to the library to study as often as I can, otherwise you get comments such as "I know your trying to study but......"

I'm supposed to spend 20 hours p/w so I've got a timetable that tells me when to study, when to work on assignments etc but my main distraction is the internet.

Somethings such as children are a unavoidable distraction however being distracted by random internet based sites are unfortunately down to you. I often find those doing part time studies or distant learning as such do well mainly because you are aware that time is in short supply so it is better spent. It shalln't be easy but I know a fair few who have done very well doing part time or distant studies. Just find a routine that works and keep at it.

No idea on internet based course but many academic institutions offer a distance learning program which only involves minimal presence at the uni.

Best of luck

I didnt see the last bit, Myerscough college do an online arb degree, as do banger uni School of the Environment & Natural Resources, and the open university has Environment studies, env science, and env management, or there is the RFS cert arb & AA Technicians cert. There are probably more, but these are the ones I'm aware of. I suppose it's where you want to go with the qualification once you've finished it, and what interests you now, along with your time commitment(a degree can take 6 years part time) as to what you go for..

Amen to that tom, Headphones blaring out AC/DC while I work, 2nd assignment of the year is due in a few weeks so working on it in the small hours when the house is quiet is a great way to get it done without distractions. It has its downside tho.

http://www.treelifeac.co.uk and http://www.hccollege.co.uk/courses.asp do courses as well.

Edited by Syd_B

Hello Sasha,

I was in the similar predicament with kids etc last year, but luckily I ended up working away from home during the week which gave me the peace & quite I needed to focus on the task at hand. (I'm far too easily distracted)

I remember talking about this with other members a few years ago, a couple had said that they had ended up using a spare room in friends/neighbours houses for a few hours each week.

Might be worth looking into?

Good luck with it :thumbup1:

when i did my course i waited until children in bed. then went and locked myself away burming the midnight candle its worth it but will put alot pressure on family unit

:dito:

Especially when the other half is doing a masters too, but we manage, just:thumbup:

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App