Keeping pigs

sean

So I am tentatively thinking about raising a couple of piggies for slaughter. It is something I have always had an urge to do. I know it will be testing in many ways not least as to whether I can actually be part if the slaughtering g process or not. I am looking at setting up a pig share. Buying two pigs with two or more others then sharing all the costs and of course the meat.

I am hoping to keep them on some land which is in need of some rotorvating. I believe tamworths are the ideal species for a job like this and they give fine tasting pork and bacon.

Being new to all this I want to research and learn as much as poss before embarking on such a mission. ( if at all).

So any advice, pointers, ideas etc will be extremely appreciated.

For instance. What would be the average outlay for a weener to slaughter and butcher and how much meat would each provide in monetary value?

:001_smile:

First thing you need is a holding number from Defra

Get friendly with your local baker and greengrocer, take their waste and food is free. This is however illegal so don't get caught.

With regards green grocer waste I thought it was only illegal if food had been in a kitchen of sorts.

Yes get holding number. Then read what you can feed and what you cannot. Feeding anything that has never been in a kitchen for food preparation may be OK but you cannot even use a knife that has been in a kitchen for preparing some foods. Defra has a good site with this information on and it is not that daunting really. Killing for own consumption can also be done within strict guidelines. Again read up!

Be carefull what you feed them. Kitchen waste can give them a large amount of fat which some people like but not all. Think what you want the meat for 60 65 kg weight is good for bacon 75-85 good for chops and the rest. Good fencing. good shelter (they will destroy anything) and plenty of water (loads of mud for summer) DONT NAME THEM the wife/partner and kids wont want to get rid of them

If you have never kept pigs can I suggest you consider Kune Kune's as your first pig. Very friendly and a joy to keep, the meat is spectacular and I'm pretty sure you will never want to eat any other kind. A KK hog roast is to die for. They don't root as much as most pigs so you can keep them on grass.... And because they graze they will keep the grass short for you. Hardest thing about keeping them is the bit at the end, ours still eat grass, venture into the house and sit by the fire!! We buy our pork from another KK breeder who is tougher than we are :thumbup: good luck with whatever you decide!

These aren't our kunes... But it lets you see how nice they are!

image.jpg.f7582e4044f817eb4c9819f414be401b.jpg

Edited by blades