Ford ranger, which one?...

adam_coverdale

• 3 years later...

I have had a fair few over the years, pretty much as people say, gearboxes can be prone usually it's the 5th gear and the main shaft, had mine fully rebuilt for £1000 inc all new bearings, they usually go for 80k, put a new gen ford clutch in as well, tows great, around 24mpg, upto 2006, these are low geared nice for local stuff, PIA on a motorway, 2006 on were taller geared, boxes still prone ( same box just different ratios, I know the newer ones 2012 on you have to check to make sure you have a 3.55 diff in order to pull the 3500kg, otherwise the towing is rated at 1500 kilo, otherwise the new ones seem pretty robust, aside from the turbo issue and oil pump on the 2.2, I maybe selling my 2005 double cab thunder, fully serviced by ford for all its life, would be a great truck for someone, I just feel the need for a super cab :bowdown::sneaky2::confused1:

Good trucks, worth taking a fitter with you if its one of the older ones for the reasons mentioned. Good tow barge and general workhorse, ours has had a £500 S/H gearbox and a clutch early on but other than that its given us years of trouble free service.

Bob

wet005_zps1d8c1825.jpg

Years ago i was on a commercial diving job in friston forest, we had winches, tripods, confined space eqpt, ROV's, about 1.5 ton of AV cable on a drum, the landy we had towing it got stuck! the FORD RANGER which belonged to the park towed us out! it did however strip a drive shaft clean of its splines on one wheel, it still got us out. bloody awesome litttle pick ups!