Any arbtalking veg growers in da house?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I too late to plant anything this year? My wife and I fancy a few spuds and onions etc. we re novices so do excuse me.

If you have access to a polytunnel/greenhouse then you have lots of options.

The main problems are low light levels and low temperatures in winter.

Vegetables to grow in winter: a how-to guide | Permaculture Magazine

Gives a good overview of what can be done. Good Luck. :thumbup:

We'l be living on cucumbers, beans (all types!), peas, courgettes, cabbage, beetroot and salads this week, There are watermelons at a good size in the polytunnel (This is cold and wet North Northumberland, I can hardly believe it!). Have been picking a carrier bag of courgettes every 2-3 days for a couple of weeks now, these are not in the tunnel but growing like triffids anyway....

Am I too late to plant anything this year? My wife and I fancy a few spuds and onions etc. we re novices so do excuse me.

Outside,try late lettuce varieties,radish. Too late for potato,plant now for spring/summer harvest,garlic,onion,kale,purple sprouting broccoli( my mum just gave me some kale and PSB plants she bought from B and Q,£1 for 12 plants,bargain) :)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

We'l be living on cucumbers, beans (all types!), peas, courgettes, cabbage, beetroot and salads this week, There are watermelons at a good size in the polytunnel (This is cold and wet North Northumberland, I can hardly believe it!). Have been picking a carrier bag of courgettes every 2-3 days for a couple of weeks now, these are not in the tunnel but growing like triffids anyway....

Our courgettes are doing really well too,outdoors. Impressed with watermelon,when did you sow those?

Found a load more courgettes last night :laugh1: Squashes are going mad, good crop of tomatoes but not ripening for some reason and my 50p cucumber plant from the supermarkets got about 15 cucumbers on it at the minute, had a roast last night with peas and carrots straight out the garden and home reared pork, spot on :thumbup:

Our courgettes are doing really well too,outdoors. Impressed with watermelon,when did you sow those?

Watermelon sown early in year and were planted out in the polytunnel early June, cant remember when they were actually sown.

There are quite a few small ones and 2 larger ones.