Traditional tree surgeons

Buzzsurgeon

Suppose I must be an old git having climbed 30 yrs. I use a mix of old and new.

I remember a LOLER inspector asking how we got trees down with so little kit and no hanging decorations on the harness. Guess he hadn't been around too long.

Old style does have disadvantages. One particular memory is getting greedy on a big beech takedown. Snatching big sections until the 24mm snaps and sends a big lump rolling down the middle of the road passing the stopped cars on the way.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learnt from an old and bold climber. Natural crotch, taking wraps and he defo didn't use a topping out strop! Most of the time working was spent him swearing and shouting from the tree because things didn't run freely and it was slow and he wanted to be in the pub for 4. I now use loads of new techniques and a capstan lowering system with pulleys. However i use alot of old school techniques and obviously most of the modern gadgets are an improvement on the old. Now from my experience i am a better climber because i am calm and not flustered by getting wraps wrong, rope not running through crotches etc.

As for climbing one rope and a long strop. On the rope a VT hitchclimber the long strop a blakes with pulley, and on the harness a split tail incase i need to use the other end. To me a good blend of old and new.

oh and scared a groundy the other week by taking a top of a beech out (small, but lines etc all around) not using a pulley block but a peg instead. Totally safe but he had never seen it done before and he thought i was just banging the top out:laugh1: had to re assure him i knew what i was doing

Climbing is just a veichle to get to your work place, some like to drive the old classics some will buy anything that looks good without even test driving it....

I use what works for me and the tree..

For long term health i would reccommeded mixing it up a little.. reduces muscoskelital disorders and gives you longer in the tree before getting fatigued.....

Would only ever do that on take downs personally.

Even on take downs you have the issues regarding wear on the rope and a lack of proper control. Why line yourself up for glazed ropes, worn ropes and early incurred cost of replacement?

At times it can be a pain to keep repositioning a big pulley on say a bigger than average take daown, but....

With a flying capston and a few turns the groundsman can allow a moment of free fall and then tighten gradualy the tension and take the shock out of the load. This also ensures that the log/section is a safe distance from you stuck firm in your work position when the outward force is spent and gravity brings it to rest.

Even on take downs you have the issues regarding wear on the rope and a lack of proper control. Why line yourself up for glazed ropes, worn ropes and early incurred cost of replacement?

At times it can be a pain to keep repositioning a big pulley on say a bigger than average take daown, but....

With a flying capston and a few turns the groundsman can allow a moment of free fall and then tighten gradualy the tension and take the shock out of the load. This also ensures that the log/section is a safe distance from you stuck firm in your work position when the outward force is spent and gravity brings it to rest.

I know what you mean mate, as both a climber and groundie i would prefere to have it run through pulleys and rigging blocks all the time. But my boss is abit old school to say the least, using old glazed lowering ropes and he climbs on friction cord which is 9years old :scared1:

Ohwell im trying to show him the error of his ways over time lol

I know what you mean mate, as both a climber and groundie i would prefere to have it run through pulleys and rigging blocks all the time. But my boss is abit old school to say the least, using old glazed lowering ropes and he climbs on friction cord which is 9years old :scared1:

Ohwell im trying to show him the error of his ways over time lol

Listen fella, sounds to me like you need to find a new firm!

If you know how it is, and know how to do it in a more proffesional manner and more importantly in a more controlled and safe manner then, you my friend are the "CP" competant person, its your call mate NOT his, as for him being old school, nah, he aint old school he is "something else"

Listen fella, sounds to me like you need to find a new firm!

If you know how it is, and know how to do it in a more proffesional manner and more importantly in a more controlled and safe manner then, you my friend are the "CP" competant person, its your call mate NOT his, as for him being old school, nah, he aint old school he is "something else"

Yh i know what you mean mate, tbh im happy there. I climb more and more than him these days and am working to try and make the job safer. He has new friction cord but preferes to use his old stuff most the time? :confused1:

Will try and perswade him to buy the new lowering device by reg coates, not sure if you've seen it? Also some new lowering rope, and as im doing more of the climbing hopefully it will be looked after abit better :)