Any kayaker out there

markieg31

yeah. if you want to get yourself into kayak then the first port of call is to try and find a local canoe club.

they should have boats, kit and plenty of advice. It is good to try out lots of different boats. i see it too many times where a newbie walks into a kayak shop, the shop assistant sees pound notes walking in, and ends up buying one of everything. and often the case they end up with gear that is not appropriate for them.

secondly have a look at ukriversguideook, that is a kayaking forum which also has a private sales section where you can buy second hand boats and gear. i never buy new boats as they are so exspensive. you can pick up a decent river running kayak for 300-350. if you know what you are looking for you can get stuff cheaper. my boat is about ten years old and i got it for £175 it does the job fine.

i always like to show people up who have all the latest shiney gear.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah. if you want to get yourself into kayak then the first port of call is to try and find a local canoe club.

they should have boats, kit and plenty of advice. It is good to try out lots of different boats. i see it too many times where a newbie walks into a kayak shop, the shop assistant sees pound notes walking in, and ends up buying one of everything. and often the case they end up with gear that is not appropriate for them.

secondly have a look at ukriversguideook, that is a kayaking forum which also has a private sales section where you can buy second hand boats and gear. i never buy new boats as they are so exspensive. you can pick up a decent river running kayak for 300-350. if you know what you are looking for you can get stuff cheaper. my boat is about ten years old and i got it for £175 it does the job fine.

i always like to show people up who have all the latest shiney gear.

Cheers Mark

I was staying at a hotel in Stone, Staffordshire whilst at the last but one APF. Whilst riding my bike over the bridge there I watched some folk do some of the slalom course that seems to be a permanent set-up on this stretch of river.

Coming from a dinghy back ground I went down to the rivers edge and stood for quite a while watching......A completely different skill set and what fun! Close up too.

Me, I spend my water time at the bottom of the London river & upwards as far as Ipswich. Often scraping the sand banks and mud in the river estuaries with the bottom of my dinghy. I've been to Southend on many occasions but only for chips at the end of the pier, never the town......too far away at over a mile:001_rolleyes:

I'd like to learn kayaking but feel perhaps this skill set is a little too late?

codlasher

A couple of sit on tops we use over on the west coast and on lochs and do a bit of kayaking and canoeing on the Dee and Spey. Thinking of getting a couple of kayaks for river running this summer. We've found Brookbank in Perth excellent for advice and equipment.

Trevor

I started in school and from there did 3rd level and trained in the great out doors , worked all over Ireland for about 2 years (not a great life) ran just about every river here and like other people here did the Liffey decent about 8 time in my life , canoeing clubs are the best way to go , they have the people and gear to help you out and in winter they run courses in pools (warm) and there is canoe polo great fun , try and get to a lake in Wicklow a few time a year now that's about it.

I do a fair bit of kayaking, used to do more when i was younger and didnt have to work though. But I still get out a fair bit, mainly do river running now but a litle bit of freestyle now and again. Have been up Scotland a few times and Pyrenese. Mainly go down west country as is only a few hours away. Have done a few videos using my GoPro.

Check out my channel on YouTube:

DevittSpooner - YouTube

Ross.

• 1 month later...

When i have time, I go out on the sea (live 5 mins walk from it), mainly to surf in on the waves, or take my son on the flat slow running part of the river. I just have a river type kayak, though its pretty old.