Digger grapples?

haforbes

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been working on a roadside clearance job where there is a 5 ton digger with a grapple on it.

The operator was disappointed with it as he struggles to grab trees if they are felled in sertain angles.

Just something to consider when you buy one.

The operator needs more practice, simples.

Once the tree is sectioned its even easier as you just knock the length round to grab.

The operator needs more practice, simples.

Once the tree is sectioned its even easier as you just knock the length round to grab.

As above- just knock it about to line it up so it lines up with the grab jaws- takes seconds- or a combination of using the offset ram and slewing a bit you can usually come in at the right angle.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a small 2.5T mini digger and could see a grapple could make pulling cord off the pile a lot easier than the way we do it at the moment, which is run forks of a telehandler into the pile.

Has anyone used a 360deg grapple on such a small digger succesfully without ending up clouting the cab with 500kg of cord? Also, none of the sites for the manufacturers/retailers listed here have pricing, can anyone give a price guide on what a grapple fixed and 360deg would come in at?

I have a small 2.5T mini digger and could see a grapple could make pulling cord off the pile a lot easier than the way we do it at the moment, which is run forks of a telehandler into the pile.

Has anyone used a 360deg grapple on such a small digger succesfully without ending up clouting the cab with 500kg of cord? Also, none of the sites for the manufacturers/retailers listed here have pricing, can anyone give a price guide on what a grapple fixed and 360deg would come in at?

I wouldn't have said you needed a rotator- it's a LOT more expensive than just a grapple. With a bit of thought as to positioning of the processor the standard grapple will perform just fine. Plus you loose a lot of reach (forward and height) with a rotating grab dangling down.

About £600 will get you a new grapple for a 2.5 ton machine. I think there was a thread here that mentioned over 2k for a rotating grapple.

HTH

would not be without the thumb on my 3 tonner. it came from digbits but I found that if you were lifting a log from the ground the bucket teeth dug under the log and got a lot of earth with it . I fitted the ram which I had lying about as its the same length as the fixed bar supplied when fully extended so can position the bucket then bring the thumb down onto the log. without the ram you drive it by positioning the thumb first then use the bucket with the ram its the other way round. in an ideal world I would use a longer ram mounted further up the dipper so it would fold fully out of the way for digging

Also had to take the Quick hitch off as the thumb landed inside the bucket with it fitted the narrow bucket was the only one I have without welded pins although with the new teeth and sidecutters it works a treat

R0012406.jpg.8047db986236336aee757cd606c42bdf.jpg

R0012407.jpg.8b3f1e7111f1e6e2ad1fc951e083a5bc.jpg

I've just had a patch of Rhodie we couldn't access with the Mulcher and needed a solution to get things moving quickly with the guys I have available.

The answer was in the form of a friends Takeuchi TB016 that I regularly hire and getting it equipped with a thumb.

Having searched about, we collected this from Digbits for £275 plus VAT and it's been simply brilliant.

Well built and easily fitted it's transformed the machine and the owner was pretty upset he'd not gone one the day he bought the digger!

The only thing is the lack of adjustment in the stay rod, and we're going to switch this out for a converted tractor top link that will allow the thumb to be positioned more accurately to suit different buckets.

A nice hydraulic setup would be really nice, but for the money this has paid for itself in a week.

Eddie.

597663be0dda0_Image1.jpg.acd1755bd178e95844a150934e187b95.jpg