Tree work in London??? so who is it then :)

base

Well we all know the public can be a right bunch of numptys, and that was a perfect example.

I dont think it was a big issue, everyone else apart from that hoodied cyclist stopped.

I personally like the abuse from the climber!! 10 out of 10 :thumbup1:

getting the job done in my eyes, we need less paperwork and more common sense in this day in age. cough cough I'm off

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a City Suburban Crew in a Scenario i have been part of many,many times...Plane repollard in Central London..as i have experience of both in the tree and on the ground i have to agree with Stephen..at that height you fo indeed have a birds eye view a long way in both directions...but the problem occurs because it is factory tree work at very quick commercial speed and isn't the carefuly thought out team work of a well tuned Arb crew...trust me!

Not the cyclist fault at all!!!

The set up was not good, one groundie in the road AT the work area (not 10m before) is not sufficient. Plus he has a HI VIZ vest without sleeves so thats not suitable on a highway.

If you want branches to land in you work area then use a lowering rope! Climber can lower small stuff himself.

The fact that the cyclist got that far shows the workers were wrong, and if it had hit him they would have lost any claim made against them.

PLus theres very little in the way of barriers, one at either end and some tape? Cones are not sufficient, Its never possible to barrier off a whole site but some barriers would be usefull and they could have been put in the road while the branches were being dropped. Its difficult for the groundies to watch for cyclist and pedestrians on his own, so barrier or more ground crew would help.

All in all it looked amatuer ish to me, but probably a contract won cheap. Ultimatly no one got hurt so its not a problem, carry on, but dont be daft enough to think thats the cyclist fault.

I can appreciate that working on street trees in London is a difficult one, but to say that the cyclist is at fault is UNBELIEVABLE!!

Do you honestly think that if he had been caught on the head by that branch, any judge would rule that the road use was at fault? He was outside the work zone. He hadn't been asked to stop by the groundsman.

It doesn't matter where you're working - public safety has to be the top priority. Of course there are numpties that walk through cones, dip under barrier tape etc...but this video just shows poor practice.

I'd imagine the contractor must be pretty red-faced about this appearing on the internet. Just goes to show that you can't cut corners and hope you'll get away with it - not with big brother patrolling the streets with headcams!!