employment contract help!

kierangurney

Remember the boss doesnt pay people when on holiday, he simply spreads their money out over a year so they still get the same amount while on holiday.

Now, in this case you need to know if he intends to pay you or not. And if he does pay you then is he expecting the days to come out of your holiday entitlement or not.

He is NOT allowed to pay you nothing!

He IS allowed to make you take it out of your holiday or to make up the time throughout the year.

As you have only just started you dont know what kind of person he is. If (throughought a year) you never get a penny for any hours worked past 3.30 (I dont believe you will be packed away and finished by 3.30 every day) then making you lose holiday time would be really unfair.

If however you never get paid any overtime but he pays you the snow time and calls it quits then thats better.

If you get paid for every hour of overtime you work then you are very lucky and if you lose some holiday when it snows then fair enough.

So you need to see how it all pans out rather than take this one event too seriously.

We all know the bosses dont get paid if the work is not getting done but they are the ones with freedom to do waht they want and they take the "risk" on jobs that dont go to plan. That risk does not get passed down to employees, they need paying whatever happens and if he's losing too much to snow then some better vehicles would be a good investment.

With the exception of zero hours contracts which it sounds like you are not on but check first.

I do agree- at some point something may give-

If you have a good working relationship and don't want to spoil this. If you are paid overtime at 1.5 times normal. If you have all statutory holidays. Are trained well/ good kit/ good H&S setup. Then a few days unpaid may be a small price to pay and it could be best to put your cards on the table. Tell your boss he should be paying you but you understand the position and are happy this time to go down this route rather than digging in your heels. That way he knows you are pulling your weight and he will be grateful.

Just a thought. I don't like to see people being bullied. Only you will know what position you should adopt.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the replies already given, don't make the usual mistake of thinking you're bosses pockets are bottomless as he is earning a boat load of money all year round. The overheads are unbelievably high in this industry and most company's find it hard to cover them yet alone have money sat in the bank for snow days.

It's up to you how you proceed but I would have a sit down with the boss and ask him to explain why he has made the choice that he has, if he sits you down and takes the time to explain that it just isn't viable to work through the snow as it will be to dangourous and for that reason there isn't any money to pay then I think he deserves some help and understanding from his men. Running a business is a team effort and sometimes everyone needs to take a hit.

At the end of the day contracts are there for a reason and you're more then entitled to enforce them but if you wish to push things in that department you mite find another section of the contract being used against you in a way that doesn't end well!!

I agree with the replies already given, don't make the usual mistake of thinking you're bosses pockets are bottomless as he is earning a boat load of money all year round. The overheads are unbelievably high in this industry and most company's find it hard to cover them yet alone have money sat in the bank for snow days.

It's up to you how you proceed but I would have a sit down with the boss and ask him to explain why he has made the choice that he has, if he sits you down and takes the time to explain that it just isn't viable to work through the snow as it will be to dangourous and for that reason there isn't any money to pay then I think he deserves some help and understanding from his men. Running a business is a team effort and sometimes everyone needs to take a hit.

At the end of the day contracts are there for a reason and you're more then entitled to enforce them but if you wish to push things in that department you mite find another section of the contract being used against you in a way that doesn't end well!!

Well put:thumbup1:

That’s certainly an employer’s viewpoint but it’s not an employees, if the overheads are too high then prices need to increase to ensure that the business is viable through bad weather. Expecting employees to take a hit because of poor fiscal planning is not the way to roll

Legally most employees dont need to take a hit and if the employer wants employees that roll with the punches then sharing the good times as well as the bad is the way to go, but that’s not likely is it.

Of course the employer can make lay offs as your threat implies but then what are you going to do for staff when the snow melts and they are all either working for the competition or working for themselves competing against you?

i know his pockets arnt bottemless as i was self employed before working for him, i know the costs of running a arb company. but it was my understanding that a good business should have money set aside for such incidents and emergency situations, eg bad weather or god forbid if the truck crashes. i don't mind it if it was a day or two but a whole weeks pay is quite allot for me to lose especially as xmas has gone by and i have bills to pay. thanks for your input

Employees don't need to take a hit. It's not a team effort. The boss needs a team but he's the manager not a team member.

My old boss used to say that we are all in the same boat! I said no we are not, I can go and get in another boat whenever I want and I did as soon as his boat starting sinking!

Employees don't need to take a hit. It's not a team effort. The boss needs a team but he's the manager not a team member.

My old boss used to say that we are all in the same boat! I said no we are not, I can go and get in another boat whenever I want and I did as soon as his boat starting sinking!

That's you're view and I respect it. In my boat everyone mucks in and works together, some times it means working un paid overtime but if I can I will repay with early days but in the end the guys know if I've asked them to work overtime or take a day un paid because I can't afford to pay or asked them if they would mind taking some holiday to help me out then they would do it because they know I wouldn't ask unless I really needed there help. Equally when my guys come to me when times are good and askes for an early Finnish for whatever reason or time off for un planned things like funerals and emergencies I will do everything I can to grant it even tho as far as the contract is concerned I do not have to.

This may be down to bad prep on my behalf or it mite just be down to the type of employer and the sort of guys he picks to work with but that's how my boat rolls and that's the attitude that stops it from sinking.:thumbup: