Am I selling myself short?

Alex S

After being cleaned out over Christmas my finances are looking a little sorry and it's got me thinking about my day rate. I've been climbing for a year and a bit now, and while I would not yet class myself as a "good" climber, I would go as far as to say that I'm a competent, confident, hard-working climber. On some days it's just me and a groundy and I do all the driving and climbing. We usually work flat out for 8-10 hours with a 15min break to inhale a sandwich at lunch time. I also provide all my own kit/ppe including saw.

And all of this for a grand total of...£60 per day.

The catch is that although I'm technically a subby, I work for the same guy 5 days a week. He gets all the pros of having employees without the cons, and in return we have the peace of mind and financial security that comes with a guaranteed 5 day week. If I start charging more and he tells me where to shove it, I could end up worse off if I can't find as much work elsewhere.

So the aim of this little rant is to ask for advice from seasoned veterans and others who've been in my position.

Should I charge more? How much more? Am I just a naive rookie getting ideas above his station? Your insights would be much appreciated, cheers.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

£60 is no wage for any self employed worker to be on, specially when you are providing all your own equipment....and I dont expect you're even factoring in holiday time into your day rate.

Wether or not you decide to settle for that though, or speak up and risk losing the work is your call and gamble to make.

What you have to consider though is whilst you may be a good climber, are you, after a year, going to be fast enough to make up the extra money?

For instance, if he can get someone in at £100 say but they can get the same job done in less cuts and making them a lot quicker then it all evens out a bit.

I'm not saying you are slow, just factoring in something you mightn't have thought of.

Have to see it from both sides. :001_smile:

If you are really self-employed you would do well to spread yourself around to some more local companies. Approach some with a better day rate and see how it goes. Once someone else is paying more you have a better position to ask your current "employer" for a rise.

But overall I echo Steve's initial comment - £60 before tax and expenses is not a living wage.

What you have to consider though is whilst you may be a good climber, are you, after a year, going to be fast enough to make up the extra money?

For instance, if he can get someone in at £100 say but they can get the same job done in less cuts and making them a lot quicker then it all evens out a bit.

I'm not saying you are slow, just factoring in something you mightn't have thought of.

Have to see it from both sides. :001_smile:

I'd agree with that Chris, if it werent for the fact he's providing all his kit. A new climber is worth less than a new groundsman IMO

Ask for a raise they can only say yes or no. If you dont get what you want look elsewhere , but keep quiet about it. £60 a day is ridiculous, how are you going to pay for repairs/replacing your equipment. you also didnt say if you live at home with your parents or have your own place.

After taxs N.I fuel wear and tear on ppe saws climbing equipment insurance id be more looking at £100 if not a little more to cover those costs and to have something in the back pocket.

Think you may need to sit down and work out all or cost as i feel ur working your self into the red instead of the black

thats cheep mate

ur OWN PPE

2-stroke ,chain oil can cost u £10+ a day

fuel to get to a job

ur tax on ur car/van

mot

insurance

cost of tryes

the cost of ur gear and saws a quite a bit if u was to buy all ur gear again

think u really need to be looking at the £90 mark at least

depends where in the uk ur based

when i sub out my running costs can be anything from 20-40