seasoned wood straight off pile

tree monkey

Take some indoors for a few days and retest sounds like it may be wet from rain. Rain comes out of the wood in a few days. Sap will take weeks if not months. Large butts cut into 12" rings seasons quickly. cord wood left in metre lengths very slow especially oak and ash. Beech if it is scored down the side by the harvester seasons reasonably well over 2 years but still needs breaking down to logs in the summer imo.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i got some wood from lower down the pile and its dry as owt the wood is mostly ash,sycamore beech and some eucalyptus that was dead when i cut it down i will tell customers what it is and knock some money of the price that might make them happy :)

There is nothing wrong with your 2 year old wood . As I said it can get rained on when it is delivered and will no different to what you are selling . 2 year old woods that you describe are well seasoned . they have just got wet . They will dry out fine given the right conditions .... lots of wind / air , off the ground and the top covered .

There is nothing wrong with your 2 year old wood . As I said it can get rained on when it is delivered and will no different to what you are selling . 2 year old woods that you describe are well seasoned . they have just got wet . They will dry out fine given the right conditions .... lots of wind / air , off the ground and the top covered .

I agree with that,after 2 years its got to be dry enough to burn/sell .ive stacked billets of beech/sycamore/ash for 10 months (top covered) and sold them as logs no problem and no complaints and repeat orders. steve

I know a guy whose wood sits on the pile for a year or more, goes to the splitter, then into the truck for delivery. Last time I spent a day with him he sold 7 loads, so it seems to be working for him. I've split right off the pile and burned and it was perfectly fine. I do find the Oaks do no dry out that much in the log but no real problems. By the time it's burned I bet it's dried out even more.

i`v been working off the log pile for over a month now!

it has been down for well over a year+

i cut & split some took it home tried it & it burnt perfectly the fire started easily the logs burnt as they should & threw out plenty of heat!!!

i started selling it the next day!

all i did was explain the situation that i had run out of barn stored logs & was now only processing logs to order from seasoned cordwood!

i also explained that they were not as dry as what i normally sell!

so far i have only had one customer not want them as i could not gurantee there moisture content!!

every other customer has replied with "how quick can you get some out to me???"

it depends on how desperate the customer is for logs i have now had a couple of repeat orders for the cordwood so everything looks ok!

if you explain everything to them before you roll up with it i have found that the customer is fine with it as long as they know what they are buying!!