Snow days and employees??

Rick2517

where i work there is a weird issue with snow days. All resteraunt/shop and other staff get paid full day rate/stay at home if its a declared snow day by manager yet me and a few other gardeners are never given a snow day and expected to work regardless. same applies when place closes for other conditions, ie extreme winds etc. been same for 16 years i been there.

sure does build up a lil bad feeling some days when its really minging and you know a dozen folks are sitting in nice warm house on pay and you are out in it. but thats only on worst days it feels like that.

It does sound a little bizarre. Even more bizarre is putting up with it. I guess you love your job. I know I'd rather be outside all weathers than inside all weathers.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Felix, calm down. My happiness has nothing to do with my opinion regarding this subject. As I stated earlier, living in a Right to work state allows my company to hirer who I want at a minimum wage or more. I do not need to hire contract labor, and I don't need to answer to a union or the government, not yet anyway:sneaky2:. In regards to contracts and how they are written loop holes and or exceptions can and do exist. Like I stated earlier your labor laws and contract law are different than our laws here in the USA, especially here in Florida. I believe your using my quote out of context since I don't believe I was

Referencing contract labor laws. I was referencing my own business policies and procedures. Since my customers have no issues with said policies and procedures I continue to move forward and keep my customers and dealers happy:thumbup1:.

easy-lift guy

I read the bit about continued employment to mean that if people regularly didn't turn in, the company may have to lose staff or close down. Is that what you meant ELG?:confused1::001_smile:

If someone regularly didn't turn in, the same performance managing process would apply as if they were not doing their job properly and then continued employent may mean a different thing.

where i work there is a weird issue with snow days. All resteraunt/shop and other staff get paid full day rate/stay at home if its a declared snow day by manager yet me and a few other gardeners are never given a snow day and expected to work regardless. same applies when place closes for other conditions, ie extreme winds etc. been same for 16 years i been there.

sure does build up a lil bad feeling some days when its really minging and you know a dozen folks are sitting in nice warm house on pay and you are out in it. but thats only on worst days it feels like that.

Do they need gardeners to clear pavements of snow and to assist if the place freezes up. Do certain members of the gardening team get 4x4's so they can pick others up. Not much point opening the cafe if your snowed in.

Felix, calm down. My happiness has nothing to do with my opinion regarding this subject. As I stated earlier, living in a Right to work state allows my company to hirer who I want at a minimum wage or more. I do not need to hire contract labor, and I don't need to answer to a union or the government, not yet anyway:sneaky2:. In regards to contracts and how they are written loop holes and or exceptions can and do exist. Like I stated earlier your labor laws and contract law are different than our laws here in the USA, especially here in Florida. I believe your using my quote out of context since I don't believe I was

Referencing contract labor laws. I was referencing my own business policies and procedures. Since my customers have no issues with said policies and procedures I continue to move forward and keep my customers and dealers happy:thumbup1:.

easy-lift guy

Ted, you are completely missing my point. I will try and put it a different way. The employee is selling a commodity, namely their labour by the hour, You are selling a commodity, for example your harness by the unit. My question to GenSet was what reward he offered for working those extra hours to help him out as he would be receiving more hours than he had initially bought from his staff. Your suggestion was that they should do it for free purely for the priviledge of retaining their jobs which I feel was both unreasonable and rather patronising to the employees themselves. My comparison for you is that you would not expect to supply more units than were being purchased simply to continue your priviledge of dealing with your customer. :001_smile:

It was a no brainer for me £20 in overtime or £300 for a whole lost day. Stuck in my throat sometimes when you new the engineer left late and took 1.5 hrs for lunch. But then trust works both ways :sneaky2:

I can only speak about the other side of the coin but if I had people I had worked for that I felt had taken the pee then they went on the 'only if I can't get any other work' pile. If I had somebody I felt treated me well then I would always do whatever I could to aid their success because I wanted more work from them rather than others. That would include working late and passing work on because I knew they would see me right. If they didn't, somebody else would get the extra next time. It did use to frustrate sometimes when the employees(ie on the books, not free lance) use to hang out lunch breaks and drag their heels because they knew if they got back early they would be doing logs. :001_rolleyes::001_smile:

We get the first day or 2 paid if snow continues then we have to make the snow days up on weekends in spring / summer . We do however work when we can I was really surprised when I was told tomorrow was a no go .

Where were you due to be? I thought things weren't too bad over here. The only change we have made is that I am running everybody in as I have the only 4x4. :001_smile:

We get the first day or 2 paid if snow continues then we have to make the snow days up on weekends in spring / summer . We do however work when we can I was really surprised when I was told tomorrow was a no go .

Sounds like a reasonable solution also. Not sure if all would agree tho! Some good and interesting views so far. It's good to hear suggestions from both employees and employers as sometimes I think the views are very different.

Are you cards in?

Thats not much of a choice for an hourly paid employee.

When you say unpaid leave will he be puting the employer contributions in for you? If not he is saying take leave or I am not paying you for the day(s):thumbdown:

I'm not sure I will find out