can you do it without a chainsaw

Paul in France

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel much encouraged :001_smile: by your comments guys.

We have 3 Ha of woodland but a lot of it is on slopes that make extraction nigh on impossible.

The previous owner has driven in wide pathways - wide enough for a tractor which helps a great deal.

I'm 59 pretty fit and getting fitter by the day. I'm early-retired so I'm priviledged that I don't have to do a "proper" job anymore The weather here generally does make the work more enjoyable, although the last week or so has been a bit rubbish and very wet. Of course sooner or later my body will give up on me but until then as has been said I'm in a green gym.

Apart from providing us with 'free' firewood I'm checking out the woodland management aspects of the Forum so I improve the woods as I go.

Hi

I feel there are a few clues in your question.

1. South of France... obviously a load warmer than GB.. as a result I expect you need less wood and that means that you could consider hand tools. Another factor is that if the weather is better there may be less need for you to take advantage of good patches of weather and you can cut you wood at a more leisurly pace.

2. Small trees... again says less wood now this is good because were you to get a chainsaw you don't need to spend a fortune on a brand new monster that has a 4ft bar. Have you considered a small (12-14 inch bar?) chainsaw? They can be quite cheap and very reasonable if you are not having to work them too hard.

Hi

I feel there are a few clues in your question.

1. South of France... obviously a load warmer than GB.. as a result I expect you need less wood and that means that you could consider hand tools. Another factor is that if the weather is better there may be less need for you to take advantage of good patches of weather and you can cut you wood at a more leisurly pace.

2. Small trees... again says less wood now this is good because were you to get a chainsaw you don't need to spend a fortune on a brand new monster that has a 4ft bar. Have you considered a small (12-14 inch bar?) chainsaw? They can be quite cheap and very reasonable if you are not having to work them too hard.

Yes it is warmer. They reckon about 300 days of sunshine but during the winter it does still get cold when the sun goes down. We have 2 wood burners that so far have kept the house nice and warm with no other heating except occasional use of an electric rad in the bathroom.

I don't really know how much wood I'll use in a year yet. Talking to others it can be as little as 5 steres (5 cubic metres) but someone else uses about 17 steres. A stere costs about 60 euros for good seasoned oak here.

I'm interested in what you say about electric chain saws - are they really up to it. I've considered a Sthil MS 181 with a 14" bar as recommended by one of the dealers on this Forum. I'd welcome the opinion of others on this model. The price even delivered here to France is quite reasonable as they are about twice the price to buy here.

Thanks to everyone - I can't believe how helpful this site is :thumbup1:

Hi Paul,

The Stihl MS181 is a cracking tool, I also use a MS171 for small work and hedge laying. Both are perfect for small and medium work - just service them regularly and keep em sharp and they'll look after you for years.

I quite enjoy hand sawing etc too cos it's healthy, quiet and very cost effective if you're not dealing with large volumes. Silkys and anything Scandinavian are excellent saws - Bahco etc.

All the best and enjoy the sunshine, got 6 inches plus of snow here (Gloucestershire) :thumbup:

My groundy has a ms171, its not too bad at all. As you probably know, everything holds its value here in France, and second hand saws are no exception. Remember that if you get one, you should allow for your safety gear too. A lid with visor and ear protection, protective trousers, and gloves. Its not compulsory to wear ppe here, but it should be a priority purchase imo.

If you process your timber into billets of 1 meter, you should find they are easier to move without machinery. i have hired a tracked power barrow for a day in the past to move billets from difficult access sites at not too much cost. A bow saw and maul will cope with a few stere a year, I split a lot with a maul, but my chainsaws keep me productive.

Good luck to you, and hope this helps.

My groundy has a ms171, its not too bad at all. As you probably know, everything holds its value here in France, and second hand saws are no exception. Remember that if you get one, you should allow for your safety gear too. A lid with visor and ear protection, protective trousers, and gloves. Its not compulsory to wear ppe here, but it should be a priority purchase imo.

If you process your timber into billets of 1 meter, you should find they are easier to move without machinery. i have hired a tracked power barrow for a day in the past to move billets from difficult access sites at not too much cost. A bow saw and maul will cope with a few stere a year, I split a lot with a maul, but my chainsaws keep me productive.

Good luck to you, and hope this helps.

Sound advice . Got the lid visor etc - just as well had a branch land on my bonce yesterday. Have been cutting the trunks into managable lengths. Have tried cutting into 0.5m logs and barrowing out but it's more tiring to my mind. I'm concentrating on small areas at a time. Go in get it clear of all the crap so I'm not falling over myself and then take out 2 or 3 and haul them out then have a cuppa or a beer later on in the day. Used a tracked barrow in Spain - excellent bit of kit - trying to persuade my mate to bring it here as he's not using it. Could be just the job here.