Burr Oak questions

Big Beech

Hi guys,

thanks so far for all your help. Whilst wandering a clients woodland a few days ago, i spotted an old burred oak.

At its widest point (though not measured) its around 36" at its very widest, tapering off slightly to around 30". Given my new mill and saw will struggle due to the width would it be best to slice some of the burrs off first therefore reducing my width down to a more manageable size. The tree is dead, so i would remove the crown and fell on to barers to allow rolling. But i dont know if i will be able to role to box the heart, though it is on a slight slope.

so first question, does it look worth my effort of doing this?

second question, is the above methodoligy correct or what would you Experts suggest?

59766316bf259_20130116_134347copy.jpg.936842c86b4e213434346e66705119b0.jpg

59766316bc68d_20130116_134316copy.jpg.2b2add0985b9870211a1baf3be10802d.jpg

Edited by Big Beech

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My best advice is don't chain mill it - too wasteful for a piece of wood like that. Burr Oak can be worth quite a bit of money. If it sound (or better still brown), could you take some photos of it? Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Jonathan

I would say just go ahead with your plan as it's a good compromise... I know what Jon is saying but you'd have to calculate additional cost of extraction to a mill and then cost of milling balanced against the additional timber produced... I'd say for one tree not worth it.

:001_smile:

hi guys,

the terrain in is most awkward, and whilst i have a multitude of tools available for extraction, it would make a mess!! and i know the client wont have that in his back garden.

though i may be able to get a skid steer in, but then the issue is the boggy bts on the way out. I can get the landy close in the summer when its dry but certainly not this time of year.

so, let say i amgoing the CM route, any suggestions?

s

Fell it, assess it and if it's good, wait for a frost.

The tree in the picture isn't quite of the same quality, but there is a 36 inch diameter burr oak near us that 100% burred for about 6ft 6". I had a timber grader value it at £3000 as it stood there - it's sawn for veneer. A log like the one above should attain at least £12 a hoppus, if not £15, which (IMO) means it's worth trying to extract whole.

Jonathan

Who says 'money doesn't grow on trees' Reminds me of a similar quote 'wood like that doesn't grow on trees!' I think I read that in a book by George Nakashima, The Soul of a Tree - A Woodworker's Reflections. Coincidently he discusses a problem with milling a six foot diameter English Walnut. It was too big for the mill to handle in one piece so he 'considered calling several hand sawyers from Asia to execute the sawing'. I saw a post by Nick 1854 mentioning hand sawing a log so I thought I'd take a picture of my two handed six foot saw which I've been wondering about sharpening.....

Andrew

Fell it, assess it and if it's good, wait for a frost.

The tree in the picture isn't quite of the same quality, but there is a 36 inch diameter burr oak near us that 100% burred for about 6ft 6". I had a timber grader value it at £3000 as it stood there - it's sawn for veneer. A log like the one above should attain at least £12 a hoppus, if not £15, which (IMO) means it's worth trying to extract whole.

Jonathan

done a burr ash the same way last week similar size and it fell just fine it is not good inside hence the need to fell .what value on ash burr big j?

done a burr ash the same way last week similar size and it fell just fine it is not good inside hence the need to fell .what value on ash burr big j?

Would certainly be interested in seeing some pictures - any chance you could post some?