Cabstar losing rear wheels... well nearly

likeitorlumpit

In fact this has happened now 3 times in 4 years

The nuts obviously come loose and the first thing you know is bad vibration. It's on rear driving wheels. Has happened on both sides with the present cabstar.

This is getting silly. Anyone know why? It wrecks the wheel and the nuts and this time has sheared off one of the studs.

Never had it with any other vehicle in 30 years.

Experiences however trivial are welcome.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had it with my isuzu pickup. had no end of problems with it and ended up putting a spot weld on the nut to stop it. really needed to get new half shafts but they are like rocking horse muck and just wanted to last me until i got my new truck and could get rid of it.

Thanks all

So I'm not alone

The first time it happened my driver went down to the garage and complained as they had recently taken the wheel off- We got a new set of tyres.

Last time a garage had been working in that area of the truck but said they didn't take the wheel off- I believed them

This time it's the other rear wheel and no one has been working on it so it must be some other reason.

The nuts all tighten the right way.

I'll get new studs and nuts.

Interesting to note seeing more trucks with yellow arrows on their nuts so presumably the driver can visually see if they are loosening.

Only ever had this with cabstars. Is it something to do with rear wheel drive methinks. Or heaven forbid....overloading.

I'll get new studs and nuts.

Interesting to note seeing more trucks with yellow arrows on their nuts so presumably the driver can visually see if they are loosening.

Only ever had this with cabstars. Is it something to do with rear wheel drive methinks. Or heaven forbid....overloading.

New studs and nuts would be wise. The plastic alignment tabs you see are due to the dumbing of todays work force and the claims culture we live in.

I'd bet a pound to a penny that a significant proportion of 'drivers' still pay very little attention to wheels and tyres, yellow tabs or not.

Try a smear of copper ease round the thread and mating faces including the back of the nut, wire brush everything first. Will allow the nuts to properly tighten and should stop the vibrations from working the thread loose.

Do NOT use copper grease on the thread or contact areas of the stud or nut. Use ONLY oil. The metallic particles in the copper can potentially, with vibration and use, cause wear to the stud and nut and in turn problems.

Use a simply oil or a good dose of lubricating spray. A well lubricated stud/nut will have better tightening characteristics than dry one and will be far less inclined to come loose.

You can however apply copper grease to the face of the wheel itself or the face of the hub in order to prevent the wheel corroding to the hub. This is especially effective when done where twin wheels are concerned or on a truck.

Be sure to use a calibrated torque wrench and re-check after a couple of days.