no jobs !!?

jimbob100

bit harsh! its not like spelling makes you a good tree surgeon,i know millionaires that cant read or write!!

I'm trying to help the guy! How can you not see that?

I know spelling has no bearing on how good a worker you are.

Wud u rarver get an aplicashun form speld lyk dis?

or would you rather receive one like this?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with the spelling ect as your cv has got to make the right impression. As they say you never get a second chance to make a first impression. You could be the best cutter/climber out there but if you don't come across well or make a good impression you've next to no chance of them contacting you. But that's just my take on things

I'm trying to help the guy! How can you not see that?

I know spelling has no bearing on how good a worker you are.

Wud u rarver get an aplicashun form speld lyk dis?

or would you rather receive one like this?

I am with you on this, its about respect and attention to detail, respect for yourself and those you are communicating with and demonstrating that you can pay attention to things that matter.

On a job site ignoring things that matter is a bad thing and potential employers start judging candidates from the first communication, you don’t get a second chance at a first impression.

There are a great many people out there for every job. The idea is to be the last man standing, if you don’t stand out from the start the chances are your stuff will end up in the bin all the sooner.

I also agree on the spelling. I've seen so many things written in text speak, it drives me nuts. It doesn't take much to write properly. Exceptions can be made for dyslexia or learning difficulties but there's no excuse for laziness and I have to ask myself; does that laziness transfer into the work place? Had a guy come for an interview once and spent the whole time texting.we didn't even finish the interview.

I also agree with Shane. Some people want all the answers provided on a plate without doing any leg work themselves. With all the best will in the world, I'm busy enough sorting out my own life without having to wipe someone else's backside. Boils down to that laziness thing again. Happy to help with advice or direction but I'm not going to do your job for you.

If you have attended college you should know how to use a computer for word processing. It's in just about every course these days. You should also have a grasp of the information that has been spoon fed to you for the years you attended. Had some stoaters looking for jobs with certificates and the patter but were unable to answer simple questions and basic plant identification. Red faces and beads of sweat not nice in interviews. Pass marks are too low which leads to laziness.

(learning difficulties aside)

The guy has joined a forum relavant to what he wants to do and he's at college learning the trade, how does that make him lazy :confused1:

There are some grumpy buggers on here (who may be awesome tree surgeons don't get me wrong) but why shoot down somone that is clearly after a bit of help. The UK is a joke to get into arb, my story is I went to college to learn because I just couldn't get reliable work without quals/experience and after 2 years studying all you get is 'you need experience' or cheap-shot remarks like 'yet another college leaver!'. First job applied for in NZ, first job offer and the work I do out here is far bigger than what I was ever given the chance to do back home.

I think some guys need to act their age, get off their high horse and stop being so patronising to the young/inexperienced potential arborists of the future.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, more a case of having seen the same conversations repeat themselves in previous threads and it bugs me!!

Will, I can only speak for myself but I've been in a position where I've had to employ people, a lot of people, and some of the young fellas I dealt with we're plain lazy. Lazy with the application, lazy with there dress when at the interview and lazy with the way they conducted themselves. To be fair I only dealt with a few older guys but most of them made the effort. I've also seen a lot of guys that wanted the answers provided for them on a plate. Couldn't pick up the telephone and ring around, just wanted to send a cv off in the post and expected someone to give them a job.

As I said in a previous post; I'm happy to help with advice and direction and I like to think I've pointed a few people in the right direction when they have approached me about working and moving to NZ but some people seem to expect you to almost ring up and organise a job for them. And just so there's no mistake, none of my comments are directed at the original poster, just the odd one or two out there :001_smile:

Na that's cool mate! I wasn't aiming it at anyone as I said, last thing I'd want is to fall out with any fellow member of our trade, especially publically :001_smile:

I can imagine some of the people you employers get as well and can see why some people are reluctant to give newcomers a chance. My point is that it does get on my nerves seeing people tar ever newcomer with the same brush, it is frustrating and seeing that on arbtalk may even put people off.

I admire you for even just getting people in for interviews, what happens thereafter is down to them but it's that initial chance that is what so many people are just not being given these days in the UK.

All good bro :thumbup: maybe this thread will help point the young fellas in the right direction. I did have one guy that hadn't showered in about two months in for an interview. Took pity on him and gave him a chance. Three weeks later he still hadn't had a shower or washed his clothes and the other guys wouldn't work with him. Learnt very quickly not to take pity on people.