Rate of pay for a ground worker with basic tickets

Hodge

I don't quite agree. It's a package, a bundle, the full monty. Say £65 a day, + holiday pay + training + pensions and so on. What other jobs in other trades offer is immaterial, you chose this one. If its about a labourers money, and that's the sole reason, go and be a plasterers labourer, far better pay (well it was, once :001_rolleyes:)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify I'm not referring to a trainee/apprentice who needs another groundie to supervise him at all times, but an experienced groundie who knows what he is doing. The OP states the worker is 27 and has CS30/31, has 3 years experience in the job.

Don't get me wrong, I currently have very little work and a consistent £65 a day would make me very happy at the moment.

However, I believe £65 a day is cheap. Would you pay a climber that? As I said earlier, a good groundie and a good climber make a great team. They are in many ways equal. One does his job in the tree, one does his job on the ground. The holidays and other stuff are irrelevant. Many other jobs provide these but without the risks involved in tree work.

Edit: just seen that the wage offered is now at £70.

I wouldn't pay a climber that. I use a co tract climber when I need a climber as we do forestry work as well so don't need a climber everyday. If my groundy climbed then I would pay him more. I'm paying him to be a groundy on the cards with the benifit of being employed. At the moment he is self employed and on £80, I provide everything except ppe.

I wouldn't pay a climber that. I use a co tract climber when I need a climber as we do forestry work as well so don't need a climber everyday. If my groundy climbed then I would pay him more. I'm paying him to be a groundy on the cards with the benifit of being employed. At the moment he is self employed and on £80, I provide everything except ppe.

whats everything? :001_smile:

Saws/tools/hedge cutters,fuel,transport,grip gloves,bacon bap. :)

is there a house offerd with that? 3 bed, central heated, big garden, rural location.

guessing not so i will stick to my low payed farm worker job:thumbup1:

I don't quite agree. It's a package, a bundle, the full monty. Say £65 a day, + holiday pay + training + pensions and so on. What other jobs in other trades offer is immaterial, you chose this one. If its about a labourers money, and that's the sole reason, go and be a plasterers labourer, far better pay (well it was, once :001_rolleyes:)

I'm on a crusade for groundies tonight :001_smile:

The main problem I have with including holidays, training etc is that it can sometimes be used as a way to justify lower wages. Is an employer providing PPE not a legal requirement?

I'm of the opinion that if you employ a person, then it is your duty to provide them with the tools/equipment/skills necessary to do the job. It's about investing in your workforce which ultimately betters the company as a whole.