disco or narvara

the hedge man

I must admit i'm a +1 for the defender, i had use of a 10 plate 90 with the tranny engine and the 6 speed and where pulling a (lets say loaded up) 14ft ifor effortlessly!! When not towiung it was almost car like to drive!! Very nice just wise i could afford my own. But at 17k for a bogo standard machine and i mean not even leccy windows!! Its a dear do. I fancy a look at the new ranger 3.2 tdci 200bhp!! That should tow. I think you need to work out wether you want a 4x4 or a pickup because they both have their own merits. If you went pickup then a navara wouldn't be at the top of the list!! I personaly like l200's (each to their own) But if you want a 4x4 then i would want a tdv6 disco commercial!! My mate uses one for delivering small plant and swears by it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit i'm a +1 for the defender, i had use of a 10 plate 90 with the tranny engine and the 6 speed and where pulling a (lets say loaded up) 14ft ifor effortlessly!! When not towiung it was almost car like to drive!! Very nice just wise i could afford my own. But at 17k for a bogo standard machine and i mean not even leccy windows!! Its a dear do. I fancy a look at the new ranger 3.2 tdci 200bhp!! That should tow. I think you need to work out wether you want a 4x4 or a pickup because they both have their own merits. If you went pickup then a navara wouldn't be at the top of the list!! I personaly like l200's (each to their own) But if you want a 4x4 then i would want a tdv6 disco commercial!! My mate uses one for delivering small plant and swears by it.

yeah there brilliant those new defenders... 2 gearboxs in mine... a rear diff. and numerous engine management problems in just under a yr.[already had replacement gearbox in it before i bought it and one when i owned it]. only had 35k on clock...

mates dad bought brand new 60 plate 110.. gearbox replaced already... scrap..

yeah there brilliant those new defenders... 2 gearboxs in mine... a rear diff. and numerous engine management problems in just under a yr.[already had replacement gearbox in it before i bought it and one when i owned it]. only had 35k on clock...

mates dad bought brand new 60 plate 110.. gearbox replaced already... scrap..

Like i said it was nice to drive and that i don't own one so have no long term experience of running one. 3 gearbox's and a diff in 35k!!??? What are you doing with it lol

Like i said it was nice to drive and that i don't own one so have no long term experience of running one. 3 gearbox's and a diff in 35k!!??? What are you doing with it lol

never towed a thing with it... and i only did 8000 miles in time i owned it..

buy a late td5 if you really must have one...

never towed a thing with it... and i only did 8000 miles in time i owned it..

buy a late td5 if you really must have one...

From a ex 90 owner and now a 130 I'd have to agree with that. Engines after the Td5 are pants. Not only my opinion but coming from those who work on them day in and out. Only Jap I did consider was 80 Series Land Cruiser but you best have deep pockets when they go wrong. And they do.

From a ex 90 owner and now a 130 I'd have to agree with that. Engines after the Td5 are pants. Not only my opinion but coming from those who work on them day in and out. Only Jap I did consider was 80 Series Land Cruiser but you best have deep pockets when they go wrong. And they do.

is the 80 series the amazon???? 1990-2007/8 if so i can honestly say i no of dozens owned by myself and others that have never so much as had set brake pads...

mine isa 1999.. bought it 18 months ago with 50k on clock. its now done 90k and xmas eve the fan belt went on it... guy i bought it from never did a thing to it.... i no that as my mate serviced it from day 1... i've put few sets brake pads in it but thats it... its never been to a mechanic other than for service..

is the 80 series the amazon???? 1990-2007/8 if so i can honestly say i no of dozens owned by myself and others that have never so much as had set brake pads...

mine isa 1999.. bought it 18 months ago with 50k on clock. its now done 90k and xmas eve the fan belt went on it... guy i bought it from never did a thing to it.... i no that as my mate serviced it from day 1... i've put few sets brake pads in it but thats it... its never been to a mechanic other than for service..

I look after two one 2001 0ne 2006 both used for towing all the time !

replace many sets of brake pads several ujs and drive flanges the tensioner pullys on the aux belts go also on the late one the rear aircon shat its self and is horendous to repair they eat batterys ! oh and they have a habit of loosing wheelstuds and also the earlier one is in need of a gearbox soon !

also look after two hiluxes for the same guy one of those is very tired the other keeps going ! both have had prop ujs !

Also i look after many landrovers and in fairness the Toyotas are not faultless there in a different legue though as new LC is 40 - 60 grand ! a defender is under 30k !

each to there own is horses for courses ! having welded up many discoverys i would urge you to check the conditon of the bodywork/chassis very carefully the cheepest i could fit a rear floor for a customer would be £800 plus vat !

its down to what you want and what you can afford and what you like !

Best LC I've encountered as a disco alternative to a work truck was the old HJ60 or 62. 4ltr, straight 6 normally aspirated. Would pull 3.5T all day long, really comfy and absolutely cavernous inside. Other than body corrosion (all the panels are available now - weren't when I had mine) the only thing that was a bit of a niggle was that firt was a bit low which made second feel a bit high at times.

We once got a Honda 300 Big red in the back of it with the seats folded down. HAd to take the wheels off the quad but they still fitted in.

Would regularly return over 30 mpg too.

Really wish I'd kept it.