advice needed

onefingerpress

i am just looking for a bit of advice regarding a change of career.

i have found a fast track course that will get me all of my chainsaw and climbing tickets, and hopefully will get me back into work quite quickly.

i am just wondering about peoples opinions of employability of someone with all the qualifications but only 6 weeks experience of climbing and arborist work.

any advise on this would be muchly appreciated as it is a big decision to pack in work and do the course if people are not willing to employ you to gain experience.

cheers

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your post has been read over 60 times, but I can see why people have been reluctant to reply, it being your first post and all that, loads of people come on the forum, ask for the same advice that others have asked for loads of times and are never heard from again.

I did what you are contemplating doing, didn't get any chances to start with anyone so I started my own business and am now doing very well. But it has been hard. You will have to really want to get into tree work because doing the course is the easy bit you will need determination to chase work and persuade people to give you a chance, Market is full of cheapo gardeners/landscapers/tinks that are undercutting tree surgeons, so bread-and-butter work is not there to be taking on newbies who aren't super-keen.

Edited by skyhuck
language

i am just looking for a bit of advice regarding a change of career.

i have found a fast track course that will get me all of my chainsaw and climbing tickets, and hopefully will get me back into work quite quickly.

i am just wondering about peoples opinions of employability of someone with all the qualifications but only 6 weeks experience of climbing and arborist work.

any advise on this would be muchly appreciated as it is a big decision to pack in work and do the course if people are not willing to employ you to gain experience.

cheers

In truth having the tickets doesn't make you employable. Any employer would want to see you working. At the moment there are a lot of ticketed climbers who are good struggling to find work. I'm not saying don't do it but please be realistic in your expectations.

Analogy would be a taxi driver gets a driving licence but needs the Knowledge as well. At the moment I wouldn't even consider what you plan to do. As has been said before there have been plenty on here asking for advice in starting up and never to be heard from again.

I'm a head gardener and gradually going through my tickets to deal with the trees on my estate. The thought of doing a fast track course really scares me and would be very reluctant to employ anyone who has chosen this road.

I think the fast track route is good for people who have grown up doing this line of work and are in need of getting tickets to satisfy insurance etc. But I wouldn't be able to learn the lot in 6 years never mind 6 weeks.

I haven't researched the market but from what I've read on here the market is saturated.

As for changing career I can only say that it has been the best thing I have done. Was working in factories for years, heavy work and lots of stress, deadlines and not much natural light.

Took the jump and packet it in, Went back to college got my HND Horticulture and got 2 jobs while studying as well(one in a garden centre to get the knowledge and confidence in this line of work) and one gardening on an estate to get practical knowledge. Lot's of very hard work which made me employable compared to the others in the class who waltz out with a bit of paper hoping for a job.

I'm now the Head gardener at the estate I worked at during this time.

Apologise for the long winded life story. Whatever you plan to do it won't happen overnight and does break people. Best of Luck.

Well if your not in work ATM and the jobcentre will pay for tickets, then youve nothing to use but be prepared to work your arse off or start up on your own and work every hour God sends. If your in a job ATM, I sure as hell wouldn't do it.

The Job centre will pay for tickets? I find that amazing, I saved for ages and spent thousands to get my foot in the door and people just give you the funds?

Crazy!! :confused1:

As for the original question my best advice would be to start at the bottom even if you have climbing tickets. Work hard and prove yourself on the ground and someone will give the chance to climb.

If no one's got any work for you tell them you will do a day for free, work hard and safe and generally people will give you a day or two. Thats how I first started anyway and worked for me. Getting your foot in the door is the main thing once you have done that then prove your a hard worker. Good luck

I am always willing to give people a go as long as they are keen, polite, don't moan etc.. Having the tickets is a big plus as i don't have to hold there had all day! But I have taken people on before and trained them and spent time effort and money on them and once they have some time on the tools bugger off! But that life :(

Go and spend some time with a company for a weeks or so for free or token £ and see if you like it

The Job centre will pay for tickets? I find that amazing, I saved for ages and spent thousands to get my foot in the door and people just give you the funds?

Crazy!! :confused1:

Well I tried to get them to pay for my 38/39 and they refused time and time again, so I think it might depend where you live. I even had job offers to back up the need for the tickets + I all ready have 5+ years experience and had 30-32 all ready.

then I here of a guy getting all tickets paid for 30-39 + a voucher for climbing kit + ppe :S all from dole office. I then here this same story from other sources that are independent.

as the queen would say "one is not amused"

so I dunno wtf to make of it all.

Well if your not in work ATM and the jobcentre will pay for tickets.

Do you know this for certain? As in did you or a friend get funding for nptc courses?

I know they do stuff like forklift training if you are out of work for a long time.