Silly question???

Bewarethemoon

I would suggest that for most trees a single line and lanyard is fine. It will make you climb differently. However, do things at your own pace. :001_smile:

It's probably apparent that I haven't sat my climbing tickets yet but I've always been told that you must be attactched by two points at all times. In honesty this statement has confused me a little because if you're climbing in the manner we've just discussed (spliced end plus laynard) then surely when you need to advance over a limb and disconnect from one system you'll only be secured by the other?

Is this acceptable for the short time it takes to do so?

Sorry again for such a rookie query!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two load-bearing attachment points are required when using a chainsaw, not if moving about the tree. If you're climbing a tree without the intention of using a chainsaw then one attachment point is suitable. So to be suspended by a lanyard/side strop while re-routing and adjusting your mainline is fine.

Edit: I'd also try and move away from using a flipline as a secondary strop and use a rope alternative. Rope side stropes offer far more versatility and ease of use over a steel core flipline.

Thanks for clearing that up also for the advice on a rope alternative for my laynard. I have a 5m length of Yale XTC that would be perfect.

I've never got why colleges still teach it... Or they did 2 years ish ago when I did mine you could also have a second length of rope so 10 m to give you more positioning if you really need it that gets rid off the big loop in your line to stop the snagging but your harness will be a bit cluttered....

Just to clarify, are you saying they were still teaching this 2 years ago?

I still climb with both ends (both spliced on my rope, my preference) and also use a 3m whiptail for a bit of easy positioning, I very rarely have any issues with the loop but then when I started climbing it was what was taught. I was doing line clearance back then and there was alot of emphasis placed on keeping your ropes tidy and away from the lines, bearing in mind we would do live work over the top of the lines and within metres!! Scares the s##t out of me thinking how we worked back then but I guess it taught me alot as I'm still alive!!

I look at some of the new kit and techniques around now and it just baffles the s##t out of me!!:thumbup:

Thats 20 years ago :biggrin:

Times have moved on and so have techniques! There are loads of reasons not to use it, most of which were mentioned above, but mostly for me its just slow and tedious. I do use it occassionally.....its handy to have in the 'kit bag' so to speak, but for generally climbing really unnecessary, especially if you are using a secondary lanyard anyway.

or 2 months ago! take your pick.:001_smile:

Its taught because its a great, simple, little gear, easy to do technique.

Loads guys i work with in Switzerland use this technique often on big tree. one of the best ways of doing a redirect, can really get secure at end of branch etc. always retrievable, but tbh i use redirects and other fancy gear for redirects.

But sometimes i still use this technique with end of rope, bowline and blakes hitch all in one. now that is old skool but still works mint, when you need it for a certain situation. french climbers climb on two prussik, but i guess thats a whole new thread.

Anything you can learn or use is a useful tool, i my eyes this is well worth teaching and when i am training guys up, i always show this. its like starting on a prussik and moving to a VT i guess.

Good luck with the tickets, best job in world (most of the time)

MOG