Cherry picker advice

gibbon

I love the mewp discussions, went through this back in 2006. Looked at everything pros and cons and came up with tracked. So got a 15gt Teupen, three years later got a 23gt Teupen. Once you have one you will think to yourself wish i done this years ago. You look at jobs differently, it makes jobs quick whether its a take down,get a better reduction or putting a climber in the top of the tree or trees, keep them fresher. all the old school boys rope and harness all the way, some of the posts on here about taking dead trees down and climbing them and worrying about the cost of a mewp, I just think what price can you put on life, you get one chance. You will use it nearly every day.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I'm aware that platforms come in all shapes and sizes. The reason we are looking to buy one is that we have had a much better year financially and are likely to be in for a large tax bill unless we re invest a lot into kit. Although we use platforms when needed, if we had our own it would get a lot more use and would likely speed up a lot of work that perhaps a platform wouldn't get hired in for.

What I'd like to know is what would be the single most versatile out of the options above?

a tracked machein would be best. roadside work when the machien is set up it would surley be the same width as a cabstar ect? its a machien you could get in alot more places than the others.

a tracked machein would be best. roadside work when the machien is set up it would surley be the same width as a cabstar ect? its a machien you could get in alot more places than the others.

That's what I'm starting to think.

Anyone used the hinowa tracked machines? The 19m is only 2000kg, 6m out reach

Here is my old girl. Could not be without it to be honest, not that i am lazy and wont climb but for roadside crown lifts for local estates, big hedges, take downs and as you can see pruning the very tips back on a Cedar so people can see the church on there way in!!! Brilliant machine, but out shown by the tracked machines we sometimes hire.

IMG_0850.jpg.ea0ab2769e62e498cfeed51d6f6001a9.jpg

Over Xmas we dismanlted this rotten oak so hired a 16m on a Cabstar which is the tallest we can drive/hire as its 3.5t. Over that the machines require a heavy goods licence over here.

At 16m this machine was just a bit short for comfort.

It was also...not very good.

The bitch took an age to level as it was so tired and I'm not sure it would pass muster in the U.K.

I was considering asking Skyhuck to climb this unclimbable tree as he boldy goes where lesser mortals such as I dare not.

But I fear he would have thought I was merely extracting the urine and so I thought better of it.

Would have been nice to have met him and learned a few things though...

:001_smile:

Ty

DSC00720.jpg.6f633e6346dfb7e9bf584dead2a49d83.jpg

I havent had much experiance with traked spider mewps i would think a the foot print would be to big for some hiways work altho there reach is verry impresive. Van style truck mounted platfoms i can defantly recomend for hiways work on a 4wd evern better. And with the van mounts the knukle on moast stays within the confinda of the vehicle wen workg un like scisor type. Less likly to be sruck buy trafic or ather objects in confind spaces. All depends on the majorty of your work