Going to Canada!

boaly

Just wondering if there is there anybody out there that has had any experience of getting work in Canada? I am moving over there in 2014 if all goes well, will be going to Vancouver area. Hoping there's not to much issue with permits as my soon to be wife is canadian and her farther works for local government on Vancouver island within the forestry industry and offered sponsorship.

I am trying to get a job in the pipeline before I make the move. So if anybody has any advice regarding work, qualifications and experience needed I am all ears.

My nephew Philip G is currently working in Regina? for J Deere.

He was offered $1000.00 to recruit other young engineers from the UK

With another $1000.00 after 6 months if they stayed that long

Seemingly desperate for qualified useful types in the remoter? rural areas.

Marcus

Hi, Ive been living in Vancouver for nearly 2 years on a sponsorship deal.

There is a high demand for arborists here, therefore a sponsorship deal can be fairly easy to get. It is through what is called the labour market opinion which basically means if a company can prove that they are doing everything possible to recruit canadian citizens and if there is no response then the company can recruit foreign workers.

It is usually the bigger companies that go through this process so yes , the likes of Davey tree, Bartlett etc.

But i would just like to say on my personal opinion. I have seen a high turn over at Davey tree and i have seen many english arborists come and go. Although This mite not be the same at every district office.

It is an amazing place to live, the summers here are unbelievable and the winters are great if your a snowboarder or skiier.

No doubt it is an expensive city to live in and times can be hard! with the right company you should get decent pay depending on experience obviously.

As far as qualifications go NPTC's dont really mean anything here although any tickets/qualifications on your resume cant do you any harm. ISA is a good qualification to have because it is recognised nationally.

I think companies look for people with about 4 or more years experience.

Good luck and happy hunting.

E

It's because the manager in the Vancouver Richmond office is a complete prick i would say that that is the only office to avoid in BC but i would say things are a little different to the uk a lot of big trees in tight spots and unqualified ground men who know very little = interesting days