Why is work so hard to find?

chipper080

There's loads of jobs on arbjobs etc, most firms I know of seem to be picking up again a bit now apart from the obvious lull around Xmas. The main problem is there aren't that many people with the quals and experience to fill the jobs that are around. Those guys already have plenty of work. It's the ones with few quals or experience that are looking for the break. Get yourself the tickets that employers are wanting and the experience will come with time.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you looking to work for someone else? I think IIRC that you are not a young un, but mature? Why not source work that you know you can do in your area. Ok it may not be all tree felling, or climbing work, but even if its raking leaves or mulching borders, it's all work. A good friend of mine is a jobbing gardener, he has been since he left school and he just turned 60. I turned up at a job not long before Xmas and went to his shed at the property for a brew. He literally burst into tears, he had just lost his driving licence due to glaucoma. He didn't know how he could get to work, how he would keep his clients. He was miserable. With a couple of calls to CAB and the local Job Centre + I had him sorted with a taxi to and from his sites, he has to pay some and the government pick up the rest of the tab. There are ways around everything, never say never.

Xmas period is always tough for everyone, many shut down for a fortnight, winding down prior to this. Many properties are flooded out this year, they aren't going to be too worried about their treesa and hedges when they are sorting that out.

Well, maybe here's some advice, from my story

Originally I'm from Devon (Newton Abbot) and have been living in Yorkshire for the last 23 years- I don't work specifically in Arb, but in Agriculture and related industry

As a youngster, at 14-15 I got work on local farms, mucking out, feeding anything and then gradually I was allowed to drive the tractors/Landie on the farm. We did some farm tree work etc

Initially I worked for nothing, then started to get paid and fancied a career in farming and Agriculture

At 16 I got a Suzuki 50cc bike, rode in all weathers and travelled to farms for work - plus I attended day release, gaining NPTC qualifications and also took my tractor test (all paid for out of my meagre wages, but I was investing in myself and my future, whilst living at home), thus meaning I was more useful to a farmer and my experience broadened

When I was 17, I got a bigger 250cc bike and travelled everywhere on L plates, again in all weathers.

After a few months of saving up, I'd bought a Mini 850 Van and took lessons, passing my test 2nd time

Now with more experience (working for low wages) and wheels I could do more for farmers and my general farming experienced broadened further - ploughing, milking cows - anything to make a crust

At 19 I decided to go to college - Bicton... to do an OND in Agric because I wanted to be a farm manager

However when I got there, I soon realised to be a farmer you needed loads of money and capital, so decided to focus on the trades associated with farming to earn a decent living, so I decided to forgo farm jobs for the sandwich year in 1984, to concentrate on work experience in the allied agriculture trades - like feed/seed/machinery and when we went for those jobs, they had evaporated because of milk quotas being introduced - so I had 2 weeks to find a farm job or I was off the course - kapput

So I took a harvest job - carting corn and baling, then a job milking cows over winter and another with a beef herd, for that sandwich year - it was tough and uncertain, but I did it - travelling 50 miles return, each day just to milk cows at 5.30am

After college I got jobs in the feed industry as a rep, then in Agricultural banking and life's been good

When was in my teens and 20's, I worked bloody hard on long days, travelled big distances and worked for a lot less than some of mates in engineering etc

So.............what I'm trying to say is

a) You need wheels, a bike, bicycle or a car

b) You have to be prepared to do anything, even offering to work for nothing just to help out (as a groundie) in this instance, be the gopher

c) Work for low wages and all will happen, IF you have the will to succeed - none of us were handed anything on a plate in the 70's/80's and it's no different now

Good luck, only you know if you can do it

Edited by Johnnyboxer

I used to have a daihatsu fourtrak on limited use but was told i was not aloud to drive it on the road with tractor licence before i was told that i was getting a few odd jobs coming in but then had to get rid of it you guy's might nknow some thing about the laws on this but as far as i was aware i could do it and some people i spoke to thought the same if i can i will look into getting one again.

As for gardening i have tried this and when i started i was rushed off my feet for about 3 month then nothing now there are more gardeners here then gardens as outsiders are coming in doing it for next to nothing because they have so many places to do they can.

I have worked most of my life with chainsaws and tractors i have done farming and was doing it for about 7 years but now the farms are going family run so not easy to get in there.

And as i was told once forestry and chainsawing is in the blood.

I used to have a daihatsu fourtrak on limited use but was told i was not aloud to drive it on the road with tractor licence before i was told that i was getting a few odd jobs coming in but then had to get rid of it you guy's might nknow some thing about the laws on this but as far as i was aware i could do it and some people i spoke to thought the same if i can i will look into getting one again.

As for gardening i have tried this and when i started i was rushed off my feet for about 3 month then nothing now there are more gardeners here then gardens as outsiders are coming in doing it for next to nothing because they have so many places to do they can.

I have worked most of my life with chainsaws and tractors i have done farming and was doing it for about 7 years but now the farms are going family run so not easy to get in there.

And as i was told once forestry and chainsawing is in the blood.

So, can you drive a car/van and if not (apart from the money for the test) what's stopping you?