Saw recommendations

Ian Flatters

i was watching the carving at the apf and a lot of the carvers were using small rear handle echos (i have a 26cc top handle echo and they were using the rear handle version,good little saw):thumbup:

Echo 351 and a echo 270 with a dime tip and a quarter tip. Great little saws.

Hi Ian, I'm using an Echo CS280 with a cannon 1/4 tip & its absolutely brill :thumbup:

If you're looking for a bar try Rob D on here he has a selction of cannon, Oregon, Zebra & Stihl carving bars

Echo, every time. Look at the hot saw comps overseas aswell; saws with expansion chambers - nearly always echo.

i am doing a big stump carving in a garden this week and have been ask by my local saw shop to try an Ms 150 pruning saw with at carving bar to see what its like as a detail saw. half the price of a 201 but i think its only going to be good for detailing.

tom

Hi Tom,

Let us know how you find the 150 mate, looks like a great little saw.

Cheers,

Si

• 2 weeks later...

So i had the Ms 150 for the day and heres my review of it. when i first picked it up i was amazed at how light it is. when i started it up it sounded very tinny and vibrated alot when reved (for any size of saw) initialy i didnt like it. but as soon as i held it on full revs every thing changed the vibrating leveled off and i was able to do a low relief carving into a slab of wood with virtually no kick back from the tip. i had a go at carving a small mushroom and although a bit under powered it cut well.

it is never going to be any bodys main carving saw its designed for pruning small branches and isnt intended to cut anything thicker than about 2 inches. however as a detail saw or for carving low relief designs into slabs and logs its great.

its not a saw i would buy for myself to use as i have my 201 which packs far more punch however if in the future either of my kizs want to learn to carve it would be ideal. My daughter is almost 7 and i she would have no problem controlling this saw safely.

i did like the Ms 150 however you would get a much more versatile saw for the same sort of money if you bought an Ms 181.

Hi Tom,

Did you have a carving bar on it mate or the bar they come with?

I'd love to try one out, like you say would need to be an extra tool/ aid to the usual kit.

Not tried the Echo 270/280 either but would be very interested to see how they compare next to each other, the 150 being about a hundred dearer.

Si