Prusik/Blake's and pully set up.

kierangurney

But in that system the Tibloc isn't life support it's just a way of holding the pulley under the hitch isn't it and the Tibloc isn't advancing the hitch the pulley is.

If the the climber slips from a branch with slack in his line the prussik will drag the tibloc down the opposite side potentially ripping the rope.

The tibloc is designed for emergency rescue on kernmantle ropes, not arborist climbing ropes. The system in the video is really very poor from a safety point of view and was cobbled together without any real consideration as to the suitablility of the application.

To get back to the original point of the thread, a micro-pulley or hitchclimber is the way to go.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, no real weight is being added to the tibloc. The weight is on the prussik. The only weight on the block is the pulley and the force required to moved an unloaded prussik up the line. I can only envisage the block lightly grabbing the rope. If all my weight was on the block i could see why the damage outweighs the practicality but as its lightly loaded it will only grip the rope with minimal force?????

The prussik wouldnt drag it because the slack would feed up over the anchor point until the slack was gone. I cant see how it would srag it down. The prussik wont move down the line unless pulled on.

If a considerable amount of force is put on the hitch it will slip, if the tibloc was set on the line then the hitch could slide down enough to create a drag effect on the tibloc resulting in it ripping the rope, no toothed ascender should be used in a system all the time, it begs for something to happen!

If a considerable amount of force is put on the hitch it will slip, if the tibloc was set on the line then the hitch could slide down enough to create a drag effect on the tibloc resulting in it ripping the rope, no toothed ascender should be used in a system all the time, it begs for something to happen!

Does that apply to a pantin then?

I see what your saying there. Never thought of that. But then again ive never had my prussik slip before. :thumbup: