Dog with liver disease diet

Dean Lofthouse

I feed mine on either raw green tripe, raw mince beef or raw minced chicken carcass, mixed with a bit of meal and any veg peelings from the day before, in 25 years I've never had an illness in any of my dogs. Try landywoods if you want it delivering or I can give you a contact near j38 m1 where you can pick up. A lot cheaper than those bags of crap too and less dog eggs to pick up in kennel

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BARF.

I was extremely skeptical, but when we got our malamute as a pup that was all she had ever been fed, I didnt want to change her food until she got settled so we stuck with it. I tried the lab on it at the same time, and never switched back. Lab has arthritis, and when I took him to the vet he commented on how healthy and slim he was, and said whatever you are feeding carry on. I think you met my lab about 5 years ago when I had only had him a few months, so you know how fat he was.

Its a bit of a fiddle but no more expensive than the top end stuff you've been buying, you just need some freezer space.

I,ll have a little look and do some research on barf thanks, Sam has been drinking more than usual lately, he,s fit as a fiddle and showing no sign whatsoever of illness but the levels they look for in the blood are astronomical.

One that is supposed to be around 100 is up at 1300 and another that's supposed to be about 4.5 is up at 17.

Both dogs were put working yesterday with no problems

Sam is the one in the background, really fit and a cracking little dog

597662bb473ec_ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1356732875.201054.jpg.8b2793c33a54dedcab84610656a35cda.jpg

I know nothing about dog nutrition mate, but when we got our two GSD's they would only eat tinned food, no biscuits, then both had bad skin and were skin and bone.

I was not going to keep buying tinned food, so I bought frozen dog meat, the wife boils it and pours it over biscuits, they love it.

Their skin is now good, they have put on weight and both look really well.

Reading the barf literature is making me look at the whole dog nutrition thing in a different light. It makes perfect sense to be feeding dogs on raw meats now, Especailly good when I have a chest freezer full of pheasant and pigeon.

My dogs been on the BARF diet from day one, not a single visit to the vets in 8 years, he's as healthy as any dog you'll find, if I were you I'd suggest introducing the raw meat/BARF diet slowly over a period of a few weeks.

Mine get pigeon carcasses minus breasts, and necks and wings off pheasant. Minced tripe is probably a good way to start, with mashed banana and oats. Chicken wings are a good treat too, ideal meat to bone ratio.

I think its best to leave out cereal I don't think there guts are designed for it , just my opinion, my dog has chicken quarters, liver, carrots and a bit of fruit that's about it,his crap looks like that of a fox,which is good bearing in mind he's a bull-mastiff