Do you think there is a market for this kindling ?

gensetsteve

Would you be interested in selling large value bags of kindling  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in selling large value bags of kindling

• No offering people a choice confuses and they often buy nothing
    • Yes alot more people are looking for value
    • No we tried ugly kindling before and it did not sell
    • No it cost more to transport and store

We make alot of nice neat bags at the moment but are getting offered more timber that is just a tad too short or too notty. This can cause problems in the kindlet. I have had an idea to offer a value bag at the same price but increase the size to compensate for the untidy look of the kindling. How much bigger would the bags need to be ?

597662b62d654_IMG_6020(600x400).jpg.610e794f57a646a851c4d5cd570ec6aa.jpg

597662b62c017_100_0023(600x400).jpg.498088c6daff46136d96fd417234ecd4.jpg

597662b62a5ae_IMG_6019(600x400).jpg.cb36582299f904c0b6fbd63aa189e3fe.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is 25 or 50% realistic? As a consumer rather than a producer I can see that people could be put off by a slight redcution in convenience but if you're up front about the lower quality a significantly bigger bag would win most people over.

Is 25 or 50% realistic? As a consumer rather than a producer I can see that people could be put off by a slight redcution in convenience but if you're up front about the lower quality a significantly bigger bag would win most people over.

The bags are currently 450mmx500mm and weigh 4-5kg I am thinking bigger bags would be 450x800 and weigh 6-7kg so a serious bag of kindling. The trick is to supply a different market without upsetting our customers excisting stock. Thanks for all your feedback.

Depends how much dearer per kg the kindling is compared to firewood price?

The only downside that I can see is weight for weight one will light fewer fires with the larger pieces, but the larger chunks will contribute better to the heat output.

But "expensive" fuel.

I would suspect (but purely "gut" feeling ) that 50% extra weight for the same money would get you sales.

Though the extra bulk and untidyness (vis-a-vis storage) is a consideration which only the consumer can make judgment on.

I simply light the stove with the finer rubbish from the pile, incl what would be considered logs (weight wise) as long as they are splintery or have a high surface area.

They would definately be a lot bigger/coarser than your sample as above.

For the boiler outside I throw back the nice(er) straight(er) bits and split them with an axe for the next nights lighting while the boiler gets up to temp.

Cheers

Marcus