wood stove eco fan

Les Cork

I have emailed the place where I bought it from so see what they say. Mine is a genuine calfire fan so at least it has a guarantee.

Try getting it going then spraying water on the cooling fins- does it speed up?

I noticed this effect when I dusted them with a wet wipe last week. I guess thats the way they work.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Try getting it going then spraying water on the cooling fins- does it speed up?

I noticed this effect when I dusted them with a wet wipe last week. I guess thats the way they work.

What? Yours speeded up as you put water on it? Surely it would cool it so it would slow it down?

What? Yours speeded up as you put water on it? Surely it would cool it so it would slow it down?

It's a heat engine, so to work it needs a hot source for energy and a cold sink to get rid of the lower grade heat that passes from the thermopile.

If the cold sink gets warm then the delta T (difference between hot source and cold sink) is smaller so there is less energy available to do work.

If you wet the fins then the heat of evaporation of the water cools the fins and increase delta T.

Also look at the base, there is normally a bimetallic strip that jacks the unit to create an airgap , and reduce the heat flux, to protect the semiconductor chip.

It's a heat engine, so to work it needs a hot source for energy and a cold sink to get rid of the lower grade heat that passes from the thermopile.

If the cold sink gets warm then the delta T (difference between hot source and cold sink) is smaller so there is less energy available to do work.

If you wet the fins then the heat of evaporation of the water cools the fins and increase delta T.

Also look at the base, there is normally a bimetallic strip that jacks the unit to create an airgap , and reduce the heat flux, to protect the semiconductor chip.

I knew there would be a scientific answer. I understood it was the difference between hot stove and cool fins.

Some think it's rising hot air that spins the fan. Not so.

I just got an email of calfire saying they will send me out a replacement motor. Very swift service, no ifs or buts, which is great customer service. They said they had a couple back out of 6000 for the same problem. Thanks calfire:)

I just got an email of calfire saying they will send me out a replacement motor. Very swift service, no ifs or buts, which is great customer service. They said they had a couple back out of 6000 for the same problem. Thanks calfire:)

HI HODGE that is good mate what size is your fan mate thanks jon :thumbup:

HI HODGE before it get out of hand all our house is a large 2 bedroom barn with a euro heat 16kw stove as i do not like to put the gas on theres some with 3 blades thats the one im after thanks jon :thumbup:

I was having a laff John as you have a big stove:) you want the 812 mate, they have 3 blades. Have a look on the eco fan website mate.