Seeking advice on pulling tree with tractor...

swinny

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing human memory recall.

I knew, I knew the answer to the "apparently" reversed tyre in the furrow.

The tyre was not reversed, but the rim was (tyre therefore included) to offset the wheel such that it correctly lined up with the first furrow bottom.

Nowt whatsoever to do with increased (or even reduced) traction :lol::lol::lol:

Tractor rims being specifically constructed with this end in mind.

On big trees we always use steel rope, sling/strop round tree and join with shackle to rope to stop kinking, use trewhella clamp on tractor to get desired length, not lightweight though, but always have someone on tractor who is competent in cutting tree so they understand what to do and when to pull

Funny thing human memory recall.

I knew, I knew the answer to the "apparently" reversed tyre in the furrow.

The tyre was not reversed, but the rim was (tyre therefore included) to offset the wheel such that it correctly lined up with the first furrow bottom.

Nowt whatsoever to do with increased (or even reduced) traction :lol::lol::lol:

Tractor rims being specifically constructed with this end in mind.

Thats just total rubbish. If you have done any ploughing at all you would know that the plough itself is adjustable for offsett and then the fine tuning can be achieved using the adjustable chains attached to the link arms. From memory fergie tractors could be adjusted from 48 inch upto 76 inch in 4 inch increments but for all our rowcrop work we used 48 inch.

Thats just total rubbish. If you have done any ploughing at all you would know that the plough itself is adjustable for offsett and then the fine tuning can be achieved using the adjustable chains attached to the link arms. From memory fergie tractors could be adjusted from 48 inch upto 76 inch in 4 inch increments but for all our rowcrop work we used 48 inch.

im sorry your not total right here on modern machinery yes wheel widths are for row crop work but depending on tyre width furrow width and the setup and number of furrows on the plough etc the wheel centre widths are important in the manual for 99% of ploughs it will give the optimum centres for the combination of furrow width tyre size etc if your using the chains no the link arms to adjust the furrow width the plough is not set correctly ! the chains are there to stop machines swinging to far one way or the other thats why they are called SWAY chains.

a correctly setup plough and tractor the plough should pull dead centre of the prime mover this is all to do with how the plough and tractor is setup !

i should know i used to plough 1000 acres a year ! also very good friend is a very good match ploughman and he has been to the nationals to compete several times and i spent hours with him setting the plough and tractor up !

Ag tyres are designed to provide maximum traction in the given direction that you see them on tractors in normal use ! alot of contractors used to reverse the fronts so they were backwards to try and extend there life when doing alot of road work to counter act the camber of roads when grain carting or forge carting.

i have bee stuck on a number of occasions and i can tell you its easier in most cases to come out the wayyou went in !

oh and to add to the discussion brand new tyres are not as good for traction as part worns when ploughing !

And yes hanging the winch on the front of the tractor will work due to the weight bias of the engine front axle and everything else infront of the back axle which is the turning point on the setup why do we have long tractors or put front weights on them when we have large heavy kit on the 3pt linkage?

You have just proved your IGNORANCE

I haven't done any ploughing for 38 years and my debut was marked by the two yellow stripes up the side of a local hill where I let the plough sink too deep, these lines were visible from the road for several years after whenever the field was cultivated.

Thats just total rubbish. If you have done any ploughing at all you would know that the plough itself is adjustable for offsett and then the fine tuning can be achieved using the adjustable chains attached to the link arms.

I don't know what adjustments are on modern ploughs but on the 3 furrow reversible I used it was limited and time consuming. The tractor wheels could be offset by reversing them AND/OR changing the dish relative to the rim, this gave 2" increments to suit the plough furrow width and depth.

The check chains were only ever tight for road transport because the plough was allowed to align itself to the work, when working the plough was level and the landslide kept it straight, if you needed to use the steering or fiddle brake to keep a straight furrow then your set up was wrong.

im sorry your not total right here on modern machinery yes wheel widths are for row crop work but depending on tyre width furrow width and the setup and number of furrows on the plough etc the wheel centre widths are important in the manual for 99% of ploughs it will give the optimum centres for the combination of furrow width tyre size etc if your using the chains no the link arms to adjust the furrow width the plough is not set correctly ! the chains are there to stop machines swinging to far one way or the other thats why they are called SWAY chains.

a correctly setup plough and tractor the plough should pull dead centre of the prime mover this is all to do with how the plough and tractor is setup !

That'll teach me to refresh the thread before I send my reply

i should know i used to plough 1000 acres a year ! also very good friend is a very good match ploughman and he has been to the nationals to compete several times and i spent hours with him setting the plough and tractor up !

Ag tyres are designed to provide maximum traction in the given direction that you see them on tractors in normal use ! alot of contractors used to reverse the fronts so they were backwards to try and extend there life when doing alot of road work to counter act the camber of roads when grain carting or forge carting.

i have bee stuck on a number of occasions and i can tell you its easier in most cases to come out the wayyou went in !

oh and to add to the discussion brand new tyres are not as good for traction as part worns when ploughing !

And yes hanging the winch on the front of the tractor will work due to the weight bias of the engine front axle and everything else infront of the back axle which is the turning point on the setup why do we have long tractors or put front weights on them when we have large heavy kit on the 3pt linkage?

For a start we were not talking about modern ploughs as most modern ploughs are so wide that you plough on the level. If you let the chains sway as you suggest I would hate to see how straight the furrow will be. All ploughs have a tendency to pull wide and the use of the sway chain to stop this is standard practice.

CJ

I dont have a problem with my ignorance while I have a straight furrow and others have furrows like a dogs hind leg. The way I plough works for me.