a nice cut for hung trees

dadio

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely two gobs creating a triangle pointing inthe direction of fell, then as you do the back cut and get closer to teh hinge going there is less and less chance of a twist in the stem jamming the saw. Magic! Wouldn't have tried to do it on the tree in the video, yoyu would have to be just about under the stem to get the gobs in!

I think I might have done the Dadio dart much further back towards the butt, degraded or not and with 2 wedges in the top to stop pinching.

I had to titter at the 20 second boast, what do you have to jump out of the truck, start the saw while running to the tree, cut it and run back to the truck to press the buzzer and wina prize all within 1 minute? I would have spent a good few minutes sussing out the lean, tension and compression and whatnot so 10 seconds saved on the cut would be trivial, wouldn't it. Aye, you're a long time dead...

I don't know for sure but two gobs doesn't sound much use and isnt the coos bay for making a quick back cut by having less to get through - surely a conventional back cut is going to be the same amount of cutting whether one gob or two?

We've used a twist on that cut in the picture for bringing down stems or smaller trees down slowly on the hinge by leaving the hinge triangular in that way and a wide faced gob. Works well on chewy imbers like Birch, Leylandii, Cypress etc and where the drop zone is fairly fragile (driveways, lawns etc).

we use the triangle cut in nz for euc limbs etc which are prone to splitting out or if we want to drop a large limb straight down without it folding. The theory of this is due to the triangles shape and how it holds longer then a straight undercut.

I am no expert on the matter but with having the shape hold longer it alows the peice to 'pop' off instead of fold like a face cut of an undercut .

With the triangle cut all three have to match up perfectly and the top cut must be fast for it to be used safely and effectively

Not a dig at dadio, just showing some people cant read things as well as others and use his cut in the wrong scenario

Lol great video, and yes should of cut left of the under cut i.e cut to the side which will move the least and it wont happen like it did in the vid. Great ppe aswell lol.