Villager Log Burner

Jspiteri

Air control is the key.

Get a flue thermometer - best £12 you can spend on a stove. Ensure that prior to closing it down, you get the temp fairly high (top of safe zone) and then close vents. You would fully stoke the fire prior to bringing the temperature up. Make sure every last cubic inch of the firebox is full or timber.

Species of timber is important too. I find scrub elm to burn longer than anything else. Cherry is a close second.

Air control is the key.

Get a flue thermometer - best £12 you can spend on a stove. Ensure that prior to closing it down, you get the temp fairly high (top of safe zone) and then close vents. You would fully stoke the fire prior to bringing the temperature up. Make sure every last cubic inch of the firebox is full or timber.

Species of timber is important too. I find scrub elm to burn longer than anything else. Cherry is a close second.

Should I do anything with the flue damper?

allowing a woodburner to smoulder alll night is not the best idea as it allows pitch and tar etc to condense in the chimney. If you are only wanting it to stay alight to save lighting up in the morning try covering the last few embers with the woodash at night. Rake out in the morning and you will usually find glowing embers once the air gets to them again

Should I do anything with the flue damper?

Yes, shut it. Make sure that the fire is good and hot first though. We also have a Villager stove, though I think a different model.

allowing a woodburner to smoulder alll night is not the best idea as it allows pitch and tar etc to condense in the chimney. If you are only wanting it to stay alight to save lighting up in the morning try covering the last few embers with the woodash at night. Rake out in the morning and you will usually find glowing embers once the air gets to them again

I disagree. Shutting the air down doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to smoulder. I run both my stove and my Rayburn overnight but they don't smoulder. With dry timber, a good bed on the fire and a controlled air flow, you have the recipe for a good, slow, clean burn. Lots of air into the stove doesn't necessarily mean a clean chimney but it definitely means wasted fuel.

That's the same stove i've got. I keep it smouldering through night the blast it out the next morning. I clean it once a year and have never had more than a hsnd full out of it.

As mentioned above get really hot, fill the fire box leave sll vents open for a couple of minutes. Then shut it right down including thr baffle. Occasionly it just goes out and occasionly it burns out but most nights it's fine. Wood species makes a bit if a difference also as mentioned above.

As a rule of thumb i find the subtle controls are the higher ones. Ie the baffle give more control than the top vent which gives more than the bottom. If that makes sense.:)

Sent from my GT-S5690 using Tapatalk 2

Just moved out of a house that had a Villager Chelsea stove fitted and if it's anything like that one the best advise I can give you is sell it now while it's still fairly new and buy something else.

The one we had would not shut down, there was no way of properly shutting back the air flow as the doors had no seal where they met, compared to the charnwood stove we had in the previous house the Villager was rubbish.

Just moved out of a house that had a Villager Chelsea stove fitted and if it's anything like that one the best advise I can give you is sell it now while it's still fairly new and buy something else.

The one we had would not shut down, there was no way of properly shutting back the air flow as the doors had no seal where they met, compared to the charnwood stove we had in the previous house the Villager was rubbish.

So replace the rope, costs buttons:001_smile:

Firstly, convert it to a rear outlet instead of a top outlet, it will give out more heat using less fuel and as others have said, fill it brim full at night and shut down all the vents (including flue damper) and then in the morning open it up, fill it up and let it roar for 5 mins. Used to do this with our old one and every year when the chimney was swept, we only got about a handful of soot out. Used to light it in October and let it go out in April/may running 24/7. Best woodburner we ever had and far better than the smaller villager we bought when we moved which yes, is crap