Scrap saws for a good cause.

GardenKit

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Ok, so this thread is revived with the 038AV Super mentioned on Spuds bench thread.

No pictures at present as the saw is at work and I am at home, but this is the description.

Its an 038 AV Super which had lain unused for several years and would not start, possibly due to stale fuel. I pulled the carb off with the intent of an overhaul but had no kit in stock at the time. I then decided to inform the customer of likely costs, and as a bar and chain were also needed and the cost would be well over £100 she decided she did not really need it anyway. So it has sat in a corner until I was reminded by Spuds post.

The carb is in bits but everything is there, but I have made no further diagnosis, neither do I intend to.

So, as a couple of people have expressed interest I think it fair to offer it to the highest bidder by this time tomorrow evening.

The winner will make a donation to the Childrens Trust with a reference to arbtalk, as in the OP and fax me proof of the donation.

The winner can then either collect in person, or send in their own courier (I will box it up)

Or I will box it and despatch to UK mainland, exc highlands and islands, for £20 payable direct to me.

Ok, so this thread is revived with the 038AV Super mentioned on Spuds bench thread.

No pictures at present as the saw is at work and I am at home, but this is the description.

Its an 038 AV Super which had lain unused for several years and would not start, possibly due to stale fuel. I pulled the carb off with the intent of an overhaul but had no kit in stock at the time. I then decided to inform the customer of likely costs, and as a bar and chain were also needed and the cost would be well over £100 she decided she did not really need it anyway. So it has sat in a corner until I was reminded by Spuds post.

The carb is in bits but everything is there, but I have made no further diagnosis, neither do I intend to.

So, as a couple of people have expressed interest I think it fair to offer it to the highest bidder by this time tomorrow evening.

The winner will make a donation to the Childrens Trust with a reference to arbtalk, as in the OP and fax me proof of the donation.

The winner can then either collect in person, or send in their own courier (I will box it up)

Or I will box it and despatch to UK mainland, exc highlands and islands, for £20 payable direct to me.

Nice one Barrie, thought this would be a good idea and great to se you helping the cause, well done, great sentiment:thumbup:

I have now had a bid of £60 for the 038 from Dan

Now, that's strong money for a non runner, so even though I had no intention of doing anything further with this saw I came in early this morning and put the carb together (using the original diaphragms), squirted a bit of fuel into the carb and it started straight up. Coughed an spluttered for 30 seconds then settled down. It revs OK, ticks over OK and oils OK.

So you are now bidding on a known runner.

I have had a look around the unit and found two intact, running saws.

One is a McCulloch mac7-38 14"

The other is a mac338 14"

Both saws have been on the shelf for 14 months since I used them in my garden to knock down a connie. Both have been stored with Aspen and they both started this morning within 6 pulls.

Both saws are up for offers on the same conditions as the 038 posted yesterday.

I would like to post pictures but seem to have a technical hitch at present.