Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

Adam,

I'm not gonna waste time arguing about this. Peter has problems pulling himself up the tree, if that's the case he'll have a problem holding his weight with one hand as he advances the hitch. He needs to either lose weight or get strong.

David,

A few cosmetic plucks? never seen a working climber's rope before? it's miles off failing a Loler examination, I know this cause I'm a LOLER assessor so dont insult my intelligence by telling me it would fail.

Also if any other Loler assessors want to say it would fail, your risking your professional credibility on a public forum based on a photograph.

Here's some advice for new climbers, be wary of where you get your advice from, the tree industry is full of self proclaimed experts.

Geez calm down man it was only a passing observation cos it looks well rough, no need to bite my head off when i never said it would fail :thumbdown:

Reporting back , today I went out for the only hour that it did not rain , I just put a small pulley under the blakes and live just got a bit better , so thank you Adam , I will try more as I get the time.

Peter.[/ If I take a friend or one of my kids that don't have the strength climbing I'll set up a blakes hitch with a pulley but I also add a petzl ascender to the rope above the hitch, clip a karabiner and a pully to it and then put the rope tail through the pulley to create a hauling system,as your hitch gets closer to the ascender you just push it up a bit more. It's downside being that it's extremely slow!

Hi Paul , I have good upper body strength , just looking for that right set up , been tree climbing just over a year but many years of rock climbing , when I started tree climbing and done my CS 38 /39 I was showing the blakes and that was it , now looking for the next step , wood like to move a bit quicker up and moving out along branches , jumping from stem to branch , I feel the blakes holds me back.

Dose that sound right to you ?

Peter.

Hi Peter, I can relate to that, I've been climbing for about 8 years purely recreational I started as most people did on prussic and blakes with and without pulleys with friction savers and I've bought the best gear and spent thousands of pounds! Yet I don't have any desire to cut down trees or work in the industry, I've taken my cs38 just because I wanted to learn and I love tree climbing, I'm no expert on the subject of climbing and I've learnt alot from an arborist friend and the good people on here, I've tried most knots and lots of systems and the one I have settled on is hitchclimber setup with distel hitch, like most things it takes lots of practice and expense before finding the perfect setup that suits your style of climbing, try lots of different hitch cords/ropes/mechanical devises, they all react differently, try and get to the arb shows or shops most of the gear is available to try before you buy or look out for rec climbs, good luck mate!

Regards Paul

If my rope was running over a branch then I would have a lot if friction! Compared to that of running my rope through a cambium saver/friction saver, if I added a pulley into that friction saver then I'm taking at least 50% of that friction away, now if I ran my rope through just a pulley for example a pulley saver/ART rope guide then I've take nearly over 90% of the friction away I had when it was over a branch? Would you not agree? :001_smile:

Used a multi sling today to stop friction and also prevented my main line from touching phone lines while clearing. will upload pics..

dog-tag-albums-stuff-picture5819-red-2.jpg

Adam, 50% of the friction is not removed from the system, it's displaced from the branch into the hitch which is not always a good thing.

On the Blakes with a micro pulley, it's a good idea to add one of those small accessory/keyring biners or something similar between your main krab and the micro pulley as it allows the pulley more freedom to turn to either side as you take up the slack and also when the micropulley is acting as a fair lead.

seen worse & climbed on worse ,takes a lot for a rope to fail ,iv heard chainsaws can help a rope fail ,no experinace of that mi sen so cant comment :biggrin: