Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

Another risk to having a biner on the end of your advancing line and this from personel experiance is if u throw and cant see any tight crotch or stubs left u can get it stuck and if thatd your main line you have thrown your now stuck on your short line then panik sets in lol

:lol: Yer thats a good point.

Just set up my 5m lanyard so I will use that for anchor progression and then just anchor my main line in with a cambium as high as possible. :thumbup1:

I have always had a binder and throw bag on the end of my line, yes you will get it stuck once in a blue moon, usually Lime but it's no reason to NEVER use it Imo but very rarely as the bag gives you weight to flick it down.

With a throwbag you can throw round corners, boomerang it around a trunk and back to you, jump the bag from limb to limb working your way up and down.

Bundle ing up is slow and monotonous to me.:biggrin:

Hi Mate,

I quite often use a Black Widow style catapult to get a throw line into place by attaching it to a fishing weight weighing about 1 or 2 ounces (usually a drilled bullet shape). I'm lucky that I can practise in my garden on a varied selection of trees but it enables me to reach up to the 70 feet mark with consistent accuracy.

The catapults are around £8 to £10 each too so are a cheaper option than the other models that are ridiculous money unless your regularly working on very tall trees.

Hope this helps,

all the best,

Jamie :001_smile:

Hi Mate,

I quite often use a Black Widow style catapult to get a throw line into place by attaching it to a fishing weight weighing about 1 or 2 ounces (usually a drilled bullet shape). I'm lucky that I can practise in my garden on a varied selection of trees but it enables me to reach up to the 70 feet mark with consistent accuracy.

The catapults are around £8 to £10 each too so are a cheaper option than the other models that are ridiculous money unless your regularly working on very tall trees.

Hope this helps,

all the best,

Jamie :001_smile:

Hi Jamie,

are they hand held ones or with the additional stand? i dont mind getting one for that kinda money. was just uber reluctant to shell out 150 odd quid for one (that would get me a CE lanyard kit...) :biggrin:

I was climbing some pretty complex (lots of branches..) trees on the weekend and got frustrated as was near impossible to get a good line up from the ground.

I only had my 13 mm XTC rope with me which made throwing it even harder!! Might give it a go with the Aeris 11mm before i get a throwline kit.

I would rather be able to throw my main line well than have to lug more kit around on rec climbs!!!!!

Hi Jamie,

are they hand held ones or with the additional stand? i dont mind getting one for that kinda money. was just uber reluctant to shell out 150 odd quid for one (that would get me a CE lanyard kit...) :biggrin:

I was climbing some pretty complex (lots of branches..) trees on the weekend and got frustrated as was near impossible to get a good line up from the ground.

I only had my 13 mm XTC rope with me which made throwing it even harder!! Might give it a go with the Aeris 11mm before i get a throwline kit.

I would rather be able to throw my main line well than have to lug more kit around on rec climbs!!!!!

Aeris is no easier to bundle than XTC, throw line is the answer.

Have you thought about SRT....?

Aeris is no easier to bundle than XTC, throw line is the answer.

Have you thought about SRT....?

No thats true but Aeris is much lighter and I thought may be that would make it easier to throw? I guess either way a throwline is the answer :sneaky2:

I havent done anything with SRT, was looking into it but for the minuet, with the kit I have got, im bundling through with DRT. How does using SRT make reaching high enough anchoring points help?

Thanks for advice :thumbup1:

Hi Jamie,

Why not just set your line as high as you can, Climb to that point and then progress to your end tie in point TIP using Alternate Lanyard Technique or both ends of the rope and alternate throws. Once there set your cambium saver, pulley saver and there you go.

It's less about height and more about isolating limbs.

Because you're not looking for a nice crotch to run the rope over cleanly you can throw your line from outside the canopy as high as you can, tie it off and up you go.

I've done very little with it thus far, but in terms of the potential it has to save time, even just to get high and set the Pulleysaver to work ddrt which can be done so much more quickly, I'm sold!

It's less about height and more about isolating limbs.

Because you're not looking for a nice crotch to run the rope over cleanly you can throw your line from outside the canopy as high as you can, tie it off and up you go.

I've done very little with it thus far, but in terms of the potential it has to save time, even just to get high and set the Pulleysaver to work ddrt which can be done so much more quickly, I'm sold!

Ok i think i see now. Thanks for advice. just had a look around and found this on climbing arborist Advanced climbing techniques | Setting up a false crotch system

I like the look of that system. Ill give it a go me thinks! :thumbup:

Has anyone tried/use this system? good/bad..?

It's a good system for certain situations but you need a second rope,crab and pulley.you should really just try the system that ppl are suggesting.both end or side strop.its what is taught too beginners in college and a a rough estimate 90% of ppl would have learned this way.trust me it works.you get too advance the tree and work with this method.

As they say walk before you run.espeically when climbing alone.

Jake:thumbup1: