Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

Hi Dan.

Thanks for that reply!

Looking at threads it does seem that with the Hitchclimber set-up it does require a spliced eye to attach or the friction hitch catches. This is my concern with this set-up.

I have plain ended rope, I tie a long bowline to clip to the top of my hc, works fine.

I have a short line set up with the same basic principle using a short length of OP and an ISC swing cheek pulley

I still can't believe that people are still risking it using the hitch-climber with a knot - especially a fisherman's. Stupid does not hurt as often as it should it seems

So your saying that double fisherman s to tie off your hitch is dangerous ? Or a knot to tie off your line .

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Knot to tie of the line. Fisherman's knots are fine on the hitch cord.:001_smile:

Bit of a novice here so just a quick question on the implications of climbing with a knot instead of a spliced eye. I am climbing with a spliced eye but was just wondering why it becomes dangerous using a knot? Is it cause the knot can hinder the operation of your hitch?

Bit of a novice here so just a quick question on the implications of climbing with a knot instead of a spliced eye. I am climbing with a spliced eye but was just wondering why it becomes dangerous using a knot? Is it cause the knot can hinder the operation of your hitch?

Yes. A knot reduces the strength of the rope more than a splice, it's also another location for a potential failure if tied incorrectly, but these aren't the real concerns. The real problem with a knot instead of a splice in these systems is, as you say, interfering with the hitch in that they can prevent the hitch from grabbing by sitting on top of the cord preventing it from stretching out sufficiently to tighten.

Something like a long bowline is a solution, and the one which I use.

A splice is better though....