Operators license help for 6.5ton daily

GreenCoToM

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had been informed that a sole trader running a 7.5 tonne truck would not require a O licence. I've never followed this up but would be interested in a informed answer for future reference. I contemplating investing in a commercial vehicle as a project and for use on jobs I undertake as a sole trader working with other freelance operators... I have looked around a you get more for your money on the over 3.5 tonne market.

I had been informed that a sole trader running a 7.5 tonne truck would not require a O licence. I've never followed this up but would be interested in a informed answer for future reference. I contemplating investing in a commercial vehicle as a project and for use on jobs I undertake as a sole trader working with other freelance operators... I have looked around a you get more for your money on the over 3.5 tonne market.

That’s wrong, the only time you would be exempt from operator licencing is if the truck were used privately.

anything over 3.5 requires o liecence , unless agri registerd --- but theres 2 types , normal and restricted (ideal for 1 man band)

on another note , these regualr inspections , are they 6 or 12 weeks ?

regualr daily weekly i can do no probs plus access to garage ramps etc away rom home.

im hoping the only real cost is the 6 or 12 week check , which can only be an hr's labour at garage £38

any repairs need doing at some point so o liecence stops me putting things off for a while

the cost over 5 years isnt much realy if u break it down into a yearly cost - worth it for 1 man band wanting to up the game a little on work wise

please correct me if im wrong - cheers

anything over 3.5 requires o liecence , unless agri registerd --- but theres 2 types , normal and restricted (ideal for 1 man band)

on another note , these regualr inspections , are they 6 or 12 weeks ?

regualr daily weekly i can do no probs plus access to garage ramps etc away rom home.

im hoping the only real cost is the 6 or 12 week check , which can only be an hr's labour at garage £38

any repairs need doing at some point so o liecence stops me putting things off for a while

the cost over 5 years isnt much realy if u break it down into a yearly cost - worth it for 1 man band wanting to up the game a little on work wise

please correct me if im wrong - cheers

The terms of a restricted licence are nothing to do with the size of the company, it the way the vehicles are used. For instance an owner driver engaged in haulage work would need a full o licence, but a large company who only use their trucks to transport their own goods wouldn't.

You specify the arrangements for maintenance, then they tell you if your proposal is acceptable or not. You could do the inspections yourself, if you have the relevant qualifications or experience and facilities to do the work.

There is a table to help you work out the frequency of inspections, mileage on one side and type of work on the other. Somewhere between 4 and 12 weeks depending on what you decide is appropriate.