Operators license help for 6.5ton daily

GreenCoToM

Hi all I have just brought a 6.5ton iveco daily tipper and was filling out my operators license this afternoon when I spoke to our local truck mot station and he says that I shouldn't need inspections on the lorry if I am using it for moving Woodchip as it would be classed as a forestry/agricultural vehicle as I have spoke to vosa about this but they say they are not sure and need to speak to the traffic commissioner tomorrow morning as anybody else had this experience as a friend of mine says he does the same thing with his 5,2ton iveco daily tipper any help or experience would be great fully received

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stobart biomass have inspections. Be safe and get them done. By rights forestry and ag don't even need an mot! Very grey area! One area may say ok, another may not. If you go the proper route should you get pulled and a defect found at least the vehicle examiner will have maintenance records to look at. Will show willing on your part.

i am thinking this i will ask the trafffic comisioner tomorrow but i am thinking for the price of inspections its not worth the hassle if we get stopped other issue is cpc some are saying you need it and some are saying you dont as we use the lorry to go to do our job not for our job very grey area indeed most of it

At the moment we have been advised that our staff do not require CPC as you say they travel from yard to worksite and are employed as Arborists not drivers. Also the amount of driving falls under the level that requires CPC..... We may require CPC on the Hiab we operate as it tends to move around more from site to site... monitoring use with tracker system will help.. a simple driver log may be worth keeping, daily sheets in cab so you can assess your real levels of driving... Then you will have a case for or against investment in CPC and evidence if you get asked to produce records.

i am thinking this i will ask the trafffic comisioner tomorrow but i am thinking for the price of inspections its not worth the hassle if we get stopped other issue is cpc some are saying you need it and some are saying you dont as we use the lorry to go to do our job not for our job very grey area indeed most of it

Its not grey it just needs a little studying.

As long as driving is not your primary job you dont need driver CPC. You would be best advised to go with the inspections

On your o licence requirements, I'd wait and get the right answer keep records of your enquiries and who you have logged your enquiry with, times departments emails keep them with the vehicle get the right advise and invest in the right choice.... Keeping you vehicle well maintained and safe falls under PUWER even if its exempt from all other checks including MOT. if a accident occurs it will be down to you to provide adequate records on the suitability maintenance and condition of the equipment involved so even if your exempt invest in good record keeping, service intervals receipts and daily/weekly checks are always good and easy to keep. TACO do defect duplicate books and I'm sure there are templates available on line.

no cpc with restricted o liecence i believe - long as u do own daily checks , log everything then your sweet

think u may have to get a garage to do a proper look over every 6 weeks , or if your confident / expierence you can just do it all yourself

could be wrong - i hope so as looking to get a 5.2 or 6.5 like yourself

if this si the case the yearlu cost isnt that bad to cover your back , sure id save that much in fuel going back to jobs

no cpc with restricted o liecence i believe - long as u do own daily checks , log everything then your sweet

think u may have to get a garage to do a proper look over every 6 weeks , or if your confident / expierence you can just do it all yourself

could be wrong - i hope so as looking to get a 5.2 or 6.5 like yourself

if this si the case the yearlu cost isnt that bad to cover your back , sure id save that much in fuel going back to jobs

Driver CPC and "O" licence arent related or dependant on each other