Hitch Hiker thread.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

This may sound silly, so please don't pick me apart. I'm really having problems with my hitchhiker. I just can't seem to get it to adjust right. Either it binds up something terrible or doesn't bite without setting everytime. I've tried wrapping it tight before tying the stopper as they suggest and it often bites so hard that it's a battle to pull slack through. Even if I can adjust it to overcome this it often locks up once weighted, so that I have to pull down as hard as poss to get it to move, when it then releases suddenly and I feel like I'll drop, so I let go to stop myself and I'm back to square one. Tying it a touch looser it runs nice but often doesn't bite on it's own. Even when I can get it set right, after weighting it a few times it gradually locks up. I've even had it so that it won't bite on it's own but once I've set it and got it to hold it locks up. I've tried an extra wrap or two and as few as 4. It works ok ddrt, it's just srt I'm having problems.

I'm using 13mm Gecko (not ideal but it's what I have), and have tried some 10.5mm static to see if it was just the rope size that was the problem but that was no better, if not worse. I'm loath to buy a new rope only to find I'm having the same problem still.

Has anyone had similar problems and got any tips.

The only thing I can add really is that if I tie the knot a bit too tight after very little use it will settle to the right position if that makes sense.

It`s the big down side to the HH is that its a lot of messing about and unpicking of knots to get it right. Once I`ve got it right the knot tends to stay on.