dirt cheap logs somerset

john p

This year the world and his wife are doing logs! Why because this country is broke, this is not beer money its survival to pay the mortgage, everyone round here is doing logs as a sideline and yes it may not be dry but who cares its not cold yet. The 60 quid load is what everyone wants and they are lapping it up!

The trouble is the cordwood is short and the cutters like me are also broke so whats the point in cutting? I took a break as advised by gensetsteve and still the orders don't come. The only people flying past me with loads on are the big farming estates deliverying and hey thats just another arguement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really do not care what other people charge. I charge what I think the time and effort is worth and that has to be a minimum of £100 a cube as I have said ever since I joined the forum. Crazy cutter I think that you are to obsessed with trying to be cheap, put your prices up and aim at a different market from the penny pinchers by selective advertising.

I really do not care what other people charge. I charge what I think the time and effort is worth and that has to be a minimum of £100 a cube as I have said ever since I joined the forum. Crazy cutter I think that you are to obsessed with trying to be cheap, put your prices up and aim at a different market from the penny pinchers by selective advertising.

:thumbup1:

As has been posted before by others, there are the Aldi's of this world, but there are also the M&S's.

Decide who you want to be and target your customers accordingly :001_smile:

:thumbup1:

As has been posted before by others, there are the Aldi's of this world, but there are also the M&S's.

Decide who you want to be and target your customers accordingly :001_smile:

HI SKY your right there mate:thumbup1: when customers ring up need to look at the hole pics SKY your right theres MS:thumbup1: wot mine is it like all things in life you get what you pay for :thumbup1:jon :thumbup:

Aren't you the lucky one! Yeti stated in a thread yesterday he may call it a day! Sad times ahead when know ones left to cut the trees down.

This year the world and his wife are doing logs! Why because this country is broke, this is not beer money its survival to pay the mortgage, everyone round here is doing logs as a sideline and yes it may not be dry but who cares its not cold yet. The 60 quid load is what everyone wants and they are lapping it up!

The trouble is the cordwood is short and the cutters like me are also broke so whats the point in cutting? I took a break as advised by gensetsteve and still the orders don't come. The only people flying past me with loads on are the big farming estates deliverying and hey thats just another arguement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its still too early winter has not happened yet. If it does not happen thats life. It did not happen last year it may not happen this year. Risk not thy whole wad. Winter is December to April. No one is cutting hard wood as they are trying to keep the price high and there is easy money to be had cutting softwood for the subsidised biomass market. If it was £30 a tonne it would be flying it only got to £40 a tonne because of 2 hard winters when it run out. There is the Aldi Market then there is the M&S market I though I would have a go at the Harrods market this year :biggrin: Good luck to everyone in the firewood market when it starts in a couple of weeks. A few people may have 100 tonnes but not many have thousands when it dries up getstuck in :thumbup:

Local places website has processed softwood logs for £33 per metre loose & £45 per metre bagged (proper metre bags not dumpy ones) if you order 40 cubic metres (plus vat 20%)

Seems a good deal?

Tempted to buy the loose ones in for the rayburn (personal use so only 5% vat?) but would have to move & hand stack 40 metres of logs in a massive log mountain somewhere.

Edited by face cord