Japa 700 vs Palax combi

larchfly

Hi all

We are looking to buy a firewood processor and with money available we are undecided between a Palax combi and a Japa 700, anyone with experience with these machines or ideally both machines thoughts and guidance would be most appreciated.

obviously i hope we only put through 8" to 10" clean cord but realistically how do they handle rough logs, maintainance (costs/ease of), productivity, durability. Thanks for any help.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

We are looking to buy a firewood processor and with money available we are undecided between a Palax combi and a Japa 700, anyone with experience with these machines or ideally both machines thoughts and guidance would be most appreciated.

obviously i hope we only put through 8" to 10" clean cord but realistically how do they handle rough logs, maintainance (costs/ease of), productivity, durability. Thanks for any help.

I have just put my JAPPA 700 up for sale. It was/is an exellent machine for starting off the business, but we needed a bigger machine due to increasing log sales! It is 3 yrs old serviced new belts and sharpened blade £3K + Vat, based in Northumberland. No machine is perfect for every type of log you want to process, the jappa is good with small stuff up to 8". Our new machine (posch) has several problems we found within a couple of hours, and it is not as fast as the jappa, but has an automatic feed which helps the operator!Whatever machine you buy will be better at some types/sizes of timber than others

I have just put my JAPPA 700 up for sale. It was/is an exellent machine for starting off the business, but we needed a bigger machine due to increasing log sales! It is 3 yrs old serviced new belts and sharpened blade £3K + Vat, based in Northumberland. No machine is perfect for every type of log you want to process, the jappa is good with small stuff up to 8". Our new machine (posch) has several problems we found within a couple of hours, and it is not as fast as the jappa, but has an automatic feed which helps the operator!Whatever machine you buy will be better at some types/sizes of timber than others

I also have a Jappa 700, nice machine to start out but demand has now expanded to the point where I either upgrade it or buy in ready processed logs. Am just experimenting with the latter at present.

The 700 is at its best at about 8 inch diameter, you will process about 1 to 1.5 cube an hour single handed depending on cord diameter. All 8 inch and you will easily double that.

One problem is that the wood moves to the blade, therefore anything over about 6 foot long does not clear the loading rack if you have one, therefore it needs chainsawing in half or lifting clear of the loading rack for the first couple or three cuts. Another is the ram takes about 5 seconds to cycle, dropping a new log on top of the returning ram does not trigger it, this can I understand be adjusted out but is an unofficial mod.

Upgrade for me would be a Posch 350 or similar probably.

A

I also have a Jappa 700, nice machine to start out but demand has now expanded to the point where I either upgrade it or buy in ready processed logs. Am just experimenting with the latter at present.

The 700 is at its best at about 8 inch diameter, you will process about 1 to 1.5 cube an hour single handed depending on cord diameter. All 8 inch and you will easily double that.

One problem is that the wood moves to the blade, therefore anything over about 6 foot long does not clear the loading rack if you have one, therefore it needs chainsawing in half or lifting clear of the loading rack for the first couple or three cuts. Another is the ram takes about 5 seconds to cycle, dropping a new log on top of the returning ram does not trigger it, this can I understand be adjusted out but is an unofficial mod.

Upgrade for me would be a Posch 350 or similar probably.

A

Yes thats what we moved onto, could not afford one when we started out!

We process mainly 3 meter lengths softwood, and the Jappa has been fine, we used it without a deck, and only cut cordwood if it is too heavy to lift on (mainly hardwood!)

HI, what problems have you had with your posch procsessor,Thinking of investing in one, would like to hear how good these are really ment to be? I will hoping to mainly put softwood cord through it:001_smile:

It was sorted very fast, wilsons sent someone out, the foot pedal setting was wrong and was not operating correctly, its fine now! and you have to bring the blade down exactly right otherwise it jammed in the log, pretty scary! now we are used to it it is not happening any more. small bits jam down at the bottom of elevator, stopping it moving.

thats all I can think of right now, nothing major!

We have a Posch 280, fantastic machine, worked it for 3 years now, had the blade sharpened this summer, no breakdowns or problems. We would certainly buy Posch again.

one sharpen, in 3 years?. How many cube through it before you resharpen?.

I have a spare blade for my JAPA so switch them and resharpen at about 80-100 cube.

A